28 Dodge Frame

Started by rckid, February 13, 2004, 11:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rckid

Hope I don't sound real dumb!
I am building my first street rod out of a 1928 Dodge Victory6.
My question : "Is the 28 frame strong enough for a SB Chevy/with an Automatic Xmsn?" If not what should I do to the frame to get it ready for the SB Chevy? I would like to keep the original leaf spring/straight axle setup if possible. I have included a pic for those who have never seen a 28 Victory frame. Thanks; the rckid

enjenjo

It should be plenty strong enough. You might want to box it, at least partially, and maybe add an X member in the center. Dodge frame were strong enough for running as a truck, and many were.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rckid

Thank you for the info. I don't want to come off as a smart a_ _ but you have confirmed what I thought all along. But there are know it alls out here that said it would not work. And due to the fact this is my first I wanted to be real sure. I plan on using an engine cross member from TPI and putting an X brace in the center. I had considered partial box or gussits around the engine area and rearend area. Once again thanks for the confirmation. RCKid

Jbird

We did a 28 Victory Six a few years ago. Used a TCI IFS and a four link rear suspension. We boxed the whole frame and added three stout crossmembers under the main body. One for the trans mount, one about halfway back on the frame that doubled as a driveline loop and one to mount all the four link stuff on. We used a ZZ4 and a built T350. It came out real stiff and the car was real comfortable to drive.
Jbird. 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

rckid

Thanks guys....I got me a Speedway cat. from a friend today. Now starts the dreaming. This is something I have always wanted to do. SMILE RCKID