2024: What are you doing today?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2024, 07:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

I worked out in the shop yesterday and painted the trunk on one of the Corvairs, solid gray instead of spatter paint.  I like it.
Today, I had an appointment with the dermatologist for a follow up on my right ear and left arm surgeries last December.  Looks good.  I showed him a spot on my right arm and one on my right leg, but said I'm still in pain and don't want any more surgeries just yet.  HA!  He found a spot on my nose and sliced it off.  Left there and went to the VA for a blood test for next weeks visit.

On the way home, a sheriff car passed me going pretty fast, but no lights.  Two miles up the road, we see three cop cars at a house by the highway.  There was an SUV in the house garage, but it went in through the side wall.  The story was already on FB when we got home; someone was choking while driving, then passed out, then hit the house. Driver wasn't seriously hurt, no one in the house was hurt.  Just last week, a huge body shop right across the highway from that house burned to the ground.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Kinda easy day here...  Let my low back recover from recent stuff on this ol park model. LOL

Light rain falling here after 7pm , with strong wind.. I read comments from weather people an "atmospheric river"  was coming.. Heavy rain in short time , over nite thursday into friday.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Screwed in my first store bought tub today. Of course, it's not for this vehicle.  :roll:

Might get some 455 time in later, it is warm out. :)  :arrow:
Matt

kb426

I removed the interior panels from the 48. They are getting recovered. I ordered 5 tool bit holders for my lathe. I filled 4 of them with an assortment of bits. That will be nice to not have to change bits. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

KB do you have a quick change tool post ?

kb426

TEAM SMART

chimp koose

We made a few quick change tool posts and holders in my night class years ago . some of the older guys in class had bought lathes so we started making tooling for them .  We also converted a horizontal mill to a vertical . the overarm was the dovetail style rather than the 2 big bars so we milled one end flat and machined up an adapter to mount a vertical head on it . The guy ended up with 3 axis feed on the table , plus rapid traverse as well as power quill feed , tilt and nod  . The original horizontal mill was in nice shape and was bought for a few hundred dollars as nobody wants a horizontal mill .

enjenjo

I am making fixtures for my lathe to modify T5 parts for a bolt up fit to a Studebaker V8 bellhousing using the stock Stude clutch and linkage. The pilot bearing and Front bearing retainer have to be modified slightly. I want the fixtures for repeatability.

Today Josh and I assembled the T% for his 1987 Mustang 5.0. Between the wrong pats sent, the bolt holes in the case being stripped, and trouble getting the shafts shimmed right it took all day. And to top it off the fifth-reverse shift rail was damaged, so we tore down a parts transmission for the rail. So when I was picking up tools I found the good shift rail on the bench, which means we assembled it with the damaged shaft, and trouble getting it into reverse was the reason for tearing it down to begin with. so now it has to come apart again. :'(
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Frank, I hate when that happens.  When I replaced the gas tank on one of the Corvairs, everyone said to replace the brake lines also, as they are between the tank and body.  I said they look fine. There. But not on the wheel ends. Tank had to come back out.  I replaced the brake lines on the other Corvair when I removed the tank.

On a side note, I bought a new Lenovo laptop at Best Buy today to replace my trusty old Toshiba that has three green verical lines going through the monitor.  I started it up, but couldn't make any of the icons respond.  I used the mouse from the other laptop, so I switched it with another.  I finally figured out the laptop was set up for the right button being the main one. Things work much better now that I changed that.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Well we tore down nthe transmission again, replaced the shift rail and it works good now. It took an hour and a half this time, tear down and reassembly.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I'm redoing my upholstered interior panels on the 48. So far, I'm 0 for 2 on attempts. The problem may be the sewing machine operator. I quit for the day to think about it. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

I lifted and installed the 5th wheel hitch in to my truck.... More on that later

I hooked on to the RV.  Moved it forward to open the entry door. There is a support beam for the cover in the way to open the RV door.

I found small amount of water on the floor of the bathroom. Looks like the heavy rain we had, some how got past the aux vent cover and the vent in the bathroom.  It was a heavy storm.  Rain and wind for hours.

The smoke detector in the bedrooom was beeping.. The old near dead 9 volt battery deal.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Been forever since I reached for a torch but today I got the lead out. :)  :arrow:
Matt

WZ JUNK

Made some progress on the yard art.  I am starting on the tube frame for it tomorrow.  I will paint the sheet metal white when I am done fabricating.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

I filed income taxes today. It's done. After I retired, I got more forms to fill out. I'm getting mental exercise. LOL.
TEAM SMART