48 chevy truck

Started by kb426, September 07, 2022, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

chimp koose

KB I cant wait to see the pictures ! I am sure the metalflake turned out perfect! ;D

kb426

C.K., cut back on what ever you are taking. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Door panels are installed. As you would imagine, it's much quieter in there, now. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Pictures! Sharp.  :)

I'll take twenty bucks worth, CK. Would love to see the world through metalflake glasses. 8)
Matt

jaybee

That looks good, and it carries the utilitarian feel these cabs were built with. Is this one intended to be your long term ride?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

TEAM SMART

jaybee

I'm just asking if you're planning to keep this one long term, drive it for until you get the bug to build, or something else. I apologize if that's the wrong question to ask. You've done both, and I'm curious how you're ending up feeling about this one.

kb426

Jaybee, no apology required. The answer is I don't know. Until it is completely debugged and many miles on it, I won't know if I have accomplished a long termer or just another project. I should have answered your question with words. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S installed mass air sensor no.3 this afternoon. The alley is to wet to go for a test drive but it sounds right. :) This unit came in an anti-static bag and had a qc. sheet. I hadn't seen those specs before. That might become useful in diagnostics.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S is still working towards a solution on the intermittent miss. I think I have ruled out an electrical issue. There's something going on with the pcv system but I don't have an answer yet. Uncharted territory for me. :) I wasn't satisfied with how the door panels looked so I had another idea. I cut 2 panels from abs and installed them behind the arm rests. 
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

That will save the paint from fingernail scratches. Cool.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

O&S spent the afternoon working on the 48. The black inserts I installed behind the arm rests didn't quite line up with the line on the door panels. I removed them and trimmed them a little. I'm much happier now. :) In reading on a Mustang forum, some users reported having 2" of vacuum in the crankcase. I had none. I have an adjustable clamp on the fresh air side of the pcv system. I installed my vacuum gauge in the dip stick hole. I found out I could have 10" real quick by shutting off the fresh air side. I backed it off to 2" and went for a 30 mile drive at 70mph. When I got back to the shop and jacked up the truck, there is way less oil leaking from the crank seals??? It didn't run perfect but it is drivable. There is an occasional miss fire but better than before all of the messing with the pcv system. The setup is almost identical to the 32 except for the efi system. I'm wondering if the more powerful eec v is able to detect minor issues that the eec iv couldn't. I'm chasing ghosts but think I'm moving in the correct direction. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S had a day of exercise. :) I took a 4 hour job and completed it in a little over 8 hours. I'm tickled over that. Today was replace the rear main seal and transmission day. I got lucky with some things, somethings, not so much. I started off by thinking I would have to remove the console to get the trans out. I pulled the floor covering up and removed the shifter boot. I got to looking and decided that if I removed the shifter, I might be able to remove the trans without taking the console up. I had a piece of the original floor that I had to cut out with a saw that allowed the trans to slid back another 2". The trans weighs 75lbs. That's more than I can handle laying on my back so I used a floor jack to remove it knowing that going back in wouldn't be easy. I pulled the bellhousing and clutch and made sure the main seal was the culprit and not the rear of the pan. I removed the seal and examined it. I couldn't see anything wrong with it but I wasn't surprised at that. I installed a repair sleeve and a new Ford seal. I installed everything and let it run on jack stands for at least 5 minutes with the trans in gear. No oil ran out, yet. :) It's back in the shed and ready for the next task. I think I will be a little sore tomorrow. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Better than me. I managed to break off a brake bleeder and order new calipers, hoses, pads, and disks for one of the dailies.

kb426

O&S made some filler panels that go above the door frames to cover the ends on the headliner. I connected my vacuum gauge to the dipstick tube again and raised the vacuum to 3" in the crankcase. I went for a drive and the only thing leaking is the drain plug. I used a new copper washer but it seems to not be limber enough to seal. I have purchased some nylon washers so the next oil change that will be addressed. I ran the ac some and it's working as it should. The weather is about to change so the heater will be more important once again. :)
TEAM SMART