Not a Street Rod, but................

Started by 1FATGMC, March 04, 2008, 11:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

.......... a project non the less.  This past couple months while I've been working on my lakester I've helped Shaun Begay put a 305 sbc in his '73 Datsun Z.  The 305 came from me and the 200R4 was the one that Hooley gave me when my transmission blew up in OK a few years ago and John (WZJUNK) helped me put it in the car then.

The rest of the pictures and what was involved is here..............

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/73%20Datsun%20Z%20-%20Small%20Block%20Chevy.html

.......... Shaun has also recently bought a '51 Lincoln and a early 50's Chevy pickup, so I think we have a young rodder on our hands.

c ya,

Sum

Jbird

Looks like a hotrod to me. Nice job.
I've worked on a couple of the injected Zs, pretty much a nightmare of bad connections and fuel leaks. Pick the right color and get the Datsun Fairlady emblem and you got a Rice rod.  Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

purplepickup

Excellent work and great online journal, as usual. :D  Some of us have met Shaun and he seems like a real good kid.  I'm sure you've made a lifetime impression on him.   You done good on all fronts Sum. );b(
George

enjenjo

The first one of them that I saw was a Fairlady Z. I was stationed in Japan at the time, and one of the locals bought one. Hard to find one here now, they all rusted away. But they sure were pretty. I had a Chrysler Conquest TSI for a while, similar concept, made by Mitsubishi
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

good job on both the car and the article.

a SBC in an early Z is a project i've always wanted to tackle.
ahh!! someday

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "river1"good job on both the car and the article.

a SBC in an early Z is a project i've always wanted to tackle.
ahh!! someday

later jim

He knows the headers came from you and really appreciates them.  Get a Z and a small block and bring it up here with a week's vacation time and we will have it done along with some site-seeing  :D .

There is a Z a couple blocks from my place, but I don't know if it is for sale or not and I think Shaun has 1 or 2 more,

Sum

sirstude

Nice job Sum, I would think that Shaun was lucky that the rear end didn't end up as spare parts for your lakster  :wink:  :wink:

I have seen several of these conversions and everyone that took the time to do it cleanly, was happy with the results.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

jaybee

Nice work and a proven combination.  People were putting SBCs as well as small Fords in them almost from the time they were new and it was a pretty good combination.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

jusjunk

I always like them z's specially with a nice SBC :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Good job.
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

bucketmouth

When I worked at a Datsun/Nissan dealership whilst doing my apprenticeship I had to go and pick up some new cars. And Lucky me got to drive a 260Z back to the dealership.
Another time I remember a client bringing his 260Z back because it was unstable at 35mph.......that was in reverse :lol:
Z cars have always been nice looking cars and with a SBC I reckon that would have to be sweet.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

dragrcr50

do you ever sleep Sum?  very nice looking  install.  wheres the turbo though????   sam
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

1FATGMC

Quote from: "dragrcr50"do you ever sleep Sum?  very nice looking  install.  wheres the turbo though????   sam

Heck, what takes you guys a week to get done takes me probably 2 months  :cry: .  I get the turbo for my truck, I'm already worried about Shaun doing something stupid with this car.  I think he is probably more mature at this point than what it sounds like he was 3-4 years ago, so that is good.

c ya,

Sum

purplepickup

Quote from: "1FATGMC"I'm already worried about Shaun doing something stupid with this car.  I think he is probably more mature at this point than what it sounds like he was 3-4 years ago, so that is good.

c ya,

Sum
If we'd have had that car when we were his age we'd probably have done something stupid too. :0-0   In fact if I had it right now I'm sure I'd do stupid things now and then. :twisted:
George

1FATGMC

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "1FATGMC"I'm already worried about Shaun doing something stupid with this car.  I think he is probably more mature at this point than what it sounds like he was 3-4 years ago, so that is good.

c ya,

Sum
If we'd have had that car when we were his age we'd probably have done something stupid too. :0-0   In fact if I had it right now I'm sure I'd do stupid things now and then. :twisted:

Yep on all accounts.  You coming out this summer??  Hope so  :D .

Sum

EMSjunkie

If I had a car like that NOW...I'd do something stupid :shock:  :lol:  :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****