Noise suppression plug wires

Started by 416Ford, February 06, 2024, 12:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

416Ford

Trying to find the best wires to run on my 46 Ford with the 302. I run a Bluetooth receiver rather then a stereo in the car and I am getting a lot of feedback threw the speakers.
The distributor requires a high output coil (45,000 Volt Oil Filled Canister Male Ignition Coil). I am currently running BLOCK PERFORMANCE 350 ohm, 8.5mm, Silicone spiral core. When I do a search all I get is adds for each company claiming how good they are.
Thanks.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

kb426

Dave, is there a condenser connected to the coil somewhere? On the white 51, my wife used bluetooth without problems. It had old oem wires and spark plugs. If you use a flash drive instead of bluetooth, do you get the same results?
TEAM SMART

416Ford

No radio in the car only a Bluetooth receiver, a potentiometer, amp, and speakers. it gives feedback any time the car is running. It is a newish problem but I don't know the exact time it started.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

kb426

Just as an experiment, is it doable to connect a battery charger or external power source to the stereo system to see if the interference is coming through the vehicle voltage or from external rfi?
TEAM SMART

416Ford

I should be able to tune the key on and the whole system should work without starting the car. I will give that a try.

kb426

Good starting point. If that is clean, when you start it, you might disconnect the alternator. That would leave the ignition system as a probably cause.
TEAM SMART

416Ford

No noise until I started it. Noise persisted after disconnecting the alternator. Seams to be the wires.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

416Ford

No stock of coarse. I think mine is telling me it has 350 ohm per foot resistance it says "BPP 350 ohm".

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

416Ford

I opted to purchase a new cap (female version) and try and put my old set of wires back on the car. They are Actually new just not able to run them on the current cap.

wayne petty

find an AM hand held radio and use the antenna to find the noise creating device. do not get the antenna that close to spark plug wires..

the condenser goes on the positive side of the ignition coil. depending on which ignition system you have.. MSD and Other CD ignitions that don't have 12 or 14 volt to the coil positive can have hundreds of volts to the coil positive..

you can also get RFI capacitors for the alternator system...
 you can hook your digital volt meter up with the setting on AC volts to the alternator case and the alternator output stud.  you should not have very much AC volts. i have forgotten what the max ac voltage is..   bad diodes can create alternator noise thru the system..