Displaying die cast trucks

Started by idrivejunk, July 03, 2023, 01:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

My last uncle went into assisted living recently and a half dozen nice little collectible old trucks, mostly 36-56 Fords made it into my hands. Mom wants Dad to conjure a display case and my thought is to make a pole barn diorama to park them in, for simplicity and compactness.

But I need some ideas for materials. Or perhaps other approaches, maybe just a stretch of dirt road.

Theres a duplicate on the red 56 which was previously gifted to me that I figure it'd be safe for me to patina that one.

Thoughts, inputs? Anyone? I can put up pics but need to do chores first so figured I'd post for ideas before pursuing any one in particular. What would be cool? They look like brand new trucks. Wheels steer, doors and hoods open. Good detail, variety of colors and body shapes. Theres a lone Chevy among em.
Matt

chimp koose

I have seen display shelves made out of an old car door . Door skin was cut open and shelves put inside . Looked pretty neat hanging on the wall .

123pugsy

Mel's Drive in would make a nice scene.

idrivejunk

CK, thats a pretty cool one  8)  :idea: I like it and have an old trunk lid but way too big, these are 1/32 scale.

Pugsy also yeah very cool, I'd be happy with Arnold's. Too elaborate though unless just a printed picture would do. Not unlike in the TV westerns. A lonesome Route 66 desert scene is more in line with my skill level.

One thought was just vertically stacked in a plain all clear plexiglass case on a lazy susan base and with the back end being hinged. Smallest shelf footprint and best viewing, least maintainence.

Or that, with each compartment having it's own background image on one or two sides.

Heres the tiny 6" long trucks and also a frame with hot wheels tray that I conjured from a 51 F-1 door shell bottom.
Matt

58 Yeoman

Matt, I have a couple different style cabinets that we've picked up at sales.  Two just have cars/trucks displayed on shelves, the last one is a tall glass cabinet with glass shelves that I've made on diorama with American Bricks that I used to play with when I was a kid.  I've bought them again at sales and made one of a garage with a couple cars.  My wife bought me the men and most of the extra's for my birthday.  I've started another, but am not very far along, a gas station that was also bought at a sale.  Others are lined up on an almost full length "dish display" shelf along one wall that was here when we bought the house.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

Thanks KB.  I have too many and tell my wife that I should start selling some of them so she won't have to, but she says to not worry about it.  So I don't.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

How did I know we'd have an expert among us? My RRT sense was tingling! :)

Theres some good examples there. Didn't view all the pics yet (on phone screen now) but did spot the same blue 51 F-1 as we have.

Its a chance to be creative. The folks do have a sort of Matt shrine with cars not encased now that I think of that.

As KB says... more thinking.

Matt

idrivejunk

This is a quickie thought sample in pastel on card stock.
Matt

idrivejunk

Cut up my old mailbox since the faintly ribbed metal resembles 1/32 scale corrugated tin and has authentic wear and weathering, cut some "lumber" from a piece of walnut and today I'll see if Dad is willing to construct it. It being a simple post shed sized for the five trucks. I figure the roof can open or a knob can be rigged to pull all the trucks out of the shed for viewing.
Matt

chimp koose

I was just thinking that a shelf made inside a rad shell might look pretty good too .

idrivejunk

Well my boss handed me the grilles off the 66 Tempest job from awhile back, in the man cave wall art context. They went with GTO grilles. The trucks look pretty cool sitting in those, the size is just right.

Dad has the truck display shed project at the moment, looking it over. I think its for their house, they think its for mine. Mom just wants a doll house. :lol:
Matt

idrivejunk

Question for youse mugs. :arrow:

Update pic. Dad's handiwork last time I saw it. Roof panels are hinged flaps. I am making a backdrop panel with five gas brand signs, 1957 or later. Mobil and Texaco are musts.

What five gas brand signs do you suggest? The more the merrier and time is a factor.
Matt

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose