2024 : Tool Reviews:

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 02, 2023, 03:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

New thread for tools:

I bought a couple Dewalt brand kits of bits;  It was an end of year  budget deal at Home Depot. 6 dollars for the drill bits , 9 dollars for the hex bits and driver bit holders. The drill bit set is a small one, up to 5/16...  All I really needed was the smaller ones. LOL

If you have not seen these. The little boxes snap together. Kinda easy to keep them together.

Dewalt gives you many of the little short bits that I have found nearly useless for my needs.

I have a few various bits and stuff in more of these boxes in my RV for repairs.  RVs always need something tightened or fixed.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

I needed some tin snips for a quik job here..  my good snips are in storage, a long ways away.

Harbor Freight to the rescue.  $15.00 out the door.  Got the job done
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Bought this AstroAI  digital tire pressure gauge. I needed a gauge for my dually. It has a lite, offers several pressure formats PSI , BAR , Kpa , etc..... Seems to work fine.  ???

I have found over the years that usually all gauges differ from unit to unit. This one is with in 1 - 2 pounds of the small digital unit I have been using. Its easier to check the inner tires on the rear 
Tony

purplepickup

I bought this handheld vacuum last fall to use at the cabin where I don't have electricity. It has become one of my favorite and most used Dewalt tools for home and cabin.

It's very powerful, handy, has just the right attachments, is easy to empty, and a charged battery lasts a long time. I paid $110 at Amazon. (#DCV501HB)

Sue's getting tired of me saying "I love my little vacuum" every time I use it.

George

Crosley.In.AZ

Hi George:  I agree with you.  The Milwaukee cordless vacuum I bought last year has become a fav around here and in the RV.  We have an olde dust buster type vacuum that is slap worn out. The battery holds a charge for about 2.5 minutes.   :lol:   :lol:   :twisted:
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

A new tool?

I lost storage for my car trailer. I moved the trailer  to the storage lot where our 5th wheel RV is stored.  I upgraded the hitch lock to a Proven Industries brand device. Very tough. The Lock Picking Lawyer on You Tube likes this hitch lock design.

Second photo shows the insert that the hitch clamps on to like the tow ball.  The Hitch design on my car trailer is called a BullDog brand type.

I installed chains thru the wheels. Basic lug nutz design of locking nutz on each wheel too.... I cut off the safety chains since ppl say the trailer thiefs will use the safety chains to tow away a trailer with the hitch still locked?  Maybe I am over thinking this ?

:o
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Bought these rubber gizmos that hold tool bits for an impact driver.  They have double sided tape on them. They hold those 1/4 inch hex drive tool bits

I used rubbing alcohol to clean my drill and impact driver before sticking these to the tool.  I stuck them on top of the tool as the photo shows.  Time will tell if this is a good idea?
Tony

kb426

My cordless drill died better than a year ago. I'd check every now and then but didn't find anything that made me reach for money. 2 weeks ago, I'm walking through Home Depot and see a DeWalt compact 20v unit. It was "on sale" for $99. The 2 salespeople failed at finding one in inventory so I went home. I ordered it on line with free shipping. My last unit was a 12v Dewalt that lasted for years of work so I'm expecting the same from this one. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Bought a $50.00  Kreg brand  saw guide for my circular saw.  I needed to cut some 1/8 inch thick panel board fairly straight for trimming out the interior of the door and windows I have installed on this Park model. It works fairly well. I clamp the panel board to the table.

I made slow 2 foot to 7 foot long cuts. A longer table would be nice. I am using a picnic table here for the work bench.

The guide can be setup for right or left use. It is well designed from plastic and aluminum.
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: kb426 on February 04, 2023, 04:46:22 PMMy cordless drill died better than a year ago. I'd check every now and then but didn't find anything that made me reach for money. 2 weeks ago, I'm walking through Home Depot and see a DeWalt compact 20v unit. It was "on sale" for $99. The 2 salespeople failed at finding one in inventory so I went home. I ordered it on line with free shipping. My last unit was a 12v Dewalt that lasted for years of work so I'm expecting the same from this one. :)

I have about the same drill. I used it at work for a year or so before I retired.  It worked great. It was a $99.00 kit deal.

Doing some reading on garage journal and Youtube: It seems these manufacturers build these tools just for special deals.  The $99.00 1/2 inch Ryobi Medium duty Impact Gun kit I bought  falls into that same category. The Impact gun will be in my RV or truck when we are on the road trips

8)  8)  8) 
Tony

tomslik

got a question about HF battery 1/2" impacts, any of it good for changing a flat on a 1 ton?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

I use Harbor freight 4 wheel carts to set my 5th wheel hitch on when the hitch is removed from the F-350.. The carts had a mind of their own on the uneven concrete  and would not stay in place under the hitch.  I cut an olde piece of plywood and created 1 cart with 8 wheels.
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: tomslik on February 08, 2023, 08:11:21 AMgot a question about HF battery 1/2" impacts, any of it good for changing a flat on a 1 ton?

Video tests on Youtube I have seen: the newer  Harbor Freight Hercules  "Ultra Torque" 1/2 inch impact gun runs near the same power - torque  as the 20v Dewalt and Milwaukee M18 high torque guns
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

I know folks are on their edge of the seat to see the cobbled together rolling cart for my 5th wheel hitch in use ! .

Photos of the hitch , also with cover I use on the hitch too.  COver keeps some debris out of the jaws while it sits in storage on carport..

8)    8)

Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Weeks ago, when I picked up my car trailer.  Tires needed some air, they were at 26 psi. 1 tire valve core stuck open slightly and leaked air. Likely this was from the balance beads I have in the tires since the valve stem was on the low side as I air'd the tire up. About 4-5 shots of air into the core and it cleared out.

I had looked in my truck for a valve core tool I thought I had bought to keep in my truck.  Nope. I forgot to buy a tool.  :twisted:  :twisted: I keep a small bag in the truck with all my tire air tools, air chuck, a  gauge, TPMS stuff for the RV.

So I went to Amazon dot com and ordered 2 of these sets of tool with valve core for my truck and Goldwing.

I also bought a pressure gauge for the Goldwing .  :o
Tony