Ford 9 inch differential. Axle flange measurement

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, May 20, 2018, 10:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I have a partially finished Ford 9 inch , narrowed for my Morris Car.

It's an axle from a F-100 truck. Early 1970's ...  Large Ford  bearing Housing ends: 3.150 dia bearing

Brakes I have are 11" drums.  2 1/4 wide shoes.  Will need to re-drill the bolt pattern on the drums for 5 x 4.5 , I guess

I need to order 31 spline axles for the diff Since I have a Ford posi 31 spline center .  Looking at Moser and Dutchman for axles

11 inch disc rotor on the front.  11 inch drums on the rear. The Morris should have some good brakes, I hope
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

when I did my Anglia the diff ended up at 28  "  housing width . 14.5x32 slicks fit under stock width fenders

Bruce Dorsi

Tony, what is that bracket on the housing studs?

Is it just a bar for lifting or does it serve another purpose?

I never saw that before.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"Tony, what is that bracket on the housing studs?

I never saw that before.

That is a cyphering tool from Dutchman for narrowing a housing.  It has the pinion center line marked with a small hole.

It shows you where the axle ends would be in the pumpkin.  That is the small off center rectangle hole in the gold  bracket .  Purty kool tool.
Tony

kb426

TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"Tony, what is that bracket on the housing studs?

I never saw that before.

That is a cyphering tool from Dutchman for narrowing a housing.  It has the pinion center line marked with a small hole.

It shows you where the axle ends would be in the pumpkin.  That is the small off center rectangle hole in the gold  bracket .  Purty kool tool.

I have a home made one to do the same thing. It's not as purdy as that one though
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I am measuring the axle end. To order the proper axle. I need this measurement to be correct.  

Yellow lines indicate the flange to flange area I am measuring. From where the bearing seats, to the flange surface where the drum sets

For flange offset from the bearing. As in the photo of the truck axle.  The drum brakes I am planing on using came off this axle housing.

The measurement I have is 2.080 inches.  I can not find an online reference guide....  I am sure there is one some where
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"This is Frank's page:
http://www.enjenjo.com/9inch.html

Thanks.  I know about Frank's page.  I dont see this measurement there.

Using straight edge. I hope I have a close enough measurement.  Some of the listed numbers I have seen on other forums, do not match up to what I am getting.
Tony

kb426

I didn't find an answer but I did find this:
http://garage.grumpysperformance.com/index.php?threads/education-for-rear-axles-and-differentials.11848/
Lots of info one 1 website. When I get home tonight, I'll measure one of the f100 axles to see if they might be the same thing. I did find mention of a 2" offset and the writer said you better have the brakes that fit it because no one in the aftermarket supplies them.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I found this on the HAMB

Brake offset-this is the measurement from the outside of the axle flange to the edge of the bearing retainer plate that bolts to the housing. Large bearing 9" housings have a 2 3/8" brake offset, and small bearing 9" housings have a 2 1/2" brake offset. There are also others such as 2" and 2 1/4", but you better have the drums and backing plates that go with those offsets or you could be in trouble as far as finding brakes to fit.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"I found this on the HAMB

Brake offset-this is the measurement from the outside of the axle flange to the edge of the bearing retainer plate that bolts to the housing. Large bearing 9" housings have a 2 3/8" brake offset, and small bearing 9" housings have a 2 1/2" brake offset. There are also others such as 2" and 2 1/4", but you better have the drums and backing plates that go with those offsets or you could be in trouble as far as finding brakes to fit.

The numbers you post are the same  I am reading about spacing of the flange offset for the brakes.  That is why the 2.080 inches I am measuring is a puzzle to me.  The axle end I have : is a large Ford design. Large bolt pattern, the 3.150 dia bearing. The brake shoe materials measure just over 2 inches wide

I do not want to have axles cut for some rare , uncommon brake spacing setup.  I have all the parts  : Backing plates, drums, hardware... as my photos show.  But: it makes no sense to setup a new deal on an uncommon drum brake design.

The budget does not allow a disc  brake  set up.

I have the small Ford axle end on the Torino / Cougar  differentials I have. I would need to take one of them apart to measure the offset of the bearing & flanges to see if that is the same as Frank quotes from the HAMB...

PLUS:  I have 2 of the complete differentials with the small Ford pattern on the housing ends....   The axle pilot diameter for the drums are way different in size between the 2 differentials.
Tony

enjenjo

If you took this rear end apart, do you remember if it had ball bearings, or roller bearings? If it had roller bearings, they are thicker than the ball bearings, and have an outside seal that uses a larger hole in the bearing retainer. the difference in bearing width adds to the axle stickout.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"If you took this rear end apart, do you remember if it had ball bearings, or roller bearings? If it had roller bearings, they are thicker than the ball bearings, and have an outside seal that uses a larger hole in the bearing retainer. the difference in bearing width adds to the axle stickout.

I just pressed the bearing off the axle  sunday evening.  Will check it.  This is not a wide bearing.
Tony

kb426

My F100 is the 2.5". Because you have salvage yards, is it out of budget to get a common brake setup to go with the new axles?
TEAM SMART