All things fuel injection. Thoughts, Brands, Installation, Tips, ...

Started by WZ JUNK, January 22, 2023, 08:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Interesting read. I believe if that the engine only required a 114 lph pump and that was installed, the Fitech unit would work as designed. A 250hp engine with a 340 lph pump in the tank that for instance has a 12 gallon capacity and as the level goes down with usage can still create a vapor lock condition. Once fuel is aerated, it's pumpability (is that even a word :) ) is very poor. I understand there was marketing involved in the pump choice but IMHO, one size doesn't fit all. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Has anyone incorporated any type of fuel pump shutoff in case of accident? I was thinking if, god forbid, something were to happed that could be a disaster waiting to happen. My thinking was an inertial switch, or a mercury switch, or an oil pressure switch, or maybe a combination.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I use the Ford inertia switch as is part of an eec iv and v system. It's a simple device that is easily wired into the pump circuit that doesn't take external power to run it.
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-inertia-switch-xw4z9341aa
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

On the Corvair sites I've started visiting since buying my Vair, many owners have gone to electric pumps as they can no longer find reliable mechanical pumps.  Many have said they're installing inertia switches with the electric pumps.  I haven't really followed those threads, as I'm still in the body work phase of getting the car ready for paint.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

jaybee

Every Ford has an inertial switch, and it's always installed in an accessible place because you have to go in and push the reset button should it get tripped.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

WZ JUNK

I am making slow progress on the conversion of the old truck to fuel injection.  I have spent a lot of time fixing things that did not relate to the change in fuel systems.  Yesterday I discovered that I had ordered the wrong fuel sending unit for the Blazer gas tank I used in the truck.  There were two sizes of tanks and of course I ordered the one for the other tank.  I ordered the right one this morning but I will try to modify the other one while I am waiting.  It will involve changing the fuel pump mount and the location of the fuel level sender. I might talk myself out of this and just use the right one.

So far things have went well.  I know that if I did a second installation it would be much easier.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

"I know that if I did a second installation it would be much easier."

Isn't that always the case?

WZ JUNK

I have located information that will allow me to adapt my GM HEI ignition to the Holley computer. I like that option as it means that I can maintain my ignition system with over the counter parts.  After I get the truck up and running, I will dive into the ignition system.

Today I am trouble shooting the ignition switch, making a bracket for the double throttle return springs, and working on the fuel line and return line.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

WZ JUNK

I am in a puzzling situation on venting the tank.  I have an unused fitting on the fuel assembly for the rollover valve.  I would like to use this to keep the tank neutral and not under pressure or under vacuum.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this problem and how I might use this port?
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

enjenjo

I hook a 3/8" line to the vent and make a loop up inside the fender held in place by the fender bolts into the bed side. and then cap it with a plastic differential vent.

WZ JUNK

I like that idea.  Will the vent allow air to move both ways but be sealed when the tank is in a neutral pressure?
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

kb426

TEAM SMART

enjenjo

It will not be sealed at neutral pressure. You could run the line to a carbon filter, and purge it with engine vacuum.

jaybee

Here's some info about using an HEI distributor with Holley EFI, or evidently Fitech as well. https://www.chevelles.com/threads/for-those-running-efi-that-want-a-low-cost-dist.966433/

The inexpensive HEI distributors for Fords are highly polarizing. Some like them for quite valid reasons, some hate the very look of them. They make small cap HEI distributors for Fords with separate coils which aren't terribly expensive and would seem to be the best of both worlds.