2020 .. What are you doing today?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2020, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

CK, so glad your people are alright. Getting that call probably took some minutes off your life, with the worrying and hurrying and being a big help.

You guys are speaking my language. The orange plastic creeper you see in my stall will go ahead and just rip out a hunk of arm even if you're in your thirties. Yow! Got a few bites before I learned. It rolls the skin into between the wheel and the wheel bracket. If ya don't lose a chunk, wicked blood blister.

I was swinging an old skinning hammer head inside the A roof without gloves yesterday (goofy goof) and fileted a hunka right index knuck on the roof frame. Nifffty.

Don't get me started on left turners. I reached for the horn and broke more than glasses. Wouldn't mind a re-break if I could do it on the punk's face. OK whoa... easy IDJ. Think about boobs or something. :wink:  :idea:

I had a buddy who once upon a time late at night, working alone under the Jeep in the garage with country and western playing, rolled his great big long hair hopelessly up into a creeper wheel as he rolled out to grab the bottle of Jack. He had reached the bottle but was now pinned to the creeper unable to figure a way to get up. :lol: Onlyest other thing in reach was the pocket knife. Saddest mental picture I ever saw. Way he described it, he lay there, sawing away and sipping... and crying something fierce all night long. Oh, the horror and misfortune! Too bad that was before youtube.

Hey so uh... can I ask this and have it be a "no questions asked" question? :arrow:

Anyone have experience with buying an aftermarket chassis and finding it to have been welded up crooked?   :?: :shock:  :?:
Matt

kb426

Matt, I have very limited exp. because I build my own junk but I wouldn't be surprised at why you are asking. My question is do you have something for a point of reference to be sure the measurements are correct? Nothing in my world is absolutely level. It's caused me grief for decades. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"Matt, I have very limited exp. because I build my own junk but I wouldn't be surprised at why you are asking. My question is do you have something for a point of reference to be sure the measurements are correct? Nothing in my world is absolutely level. It's caused me grief for decades. :)

I think datum plane is the term. When in doubt, build a moat around it. Water is level. :idea:

No questions, remember? :)
Matt

enjenjo

QuoteAnyone have experience with buying an aftermarket chassis and finding it to have been welded up crooked?

Yup, more than once.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteAnyone have experience with buying an aftermarket chassis and finding it to have been welded up crooked?

Yup, more than once.

Any point in contacting the maker?
Matt

enjenjo

Quote from: "idrivejunk"

Yup, more than once.

It depends. I have had vendors that took care of it at no cost to me, including shipping, and one other. a big name, that basically told me to go to hell, they didn't make mistakes. I also had one, a fairly minor problem, that paid me to fix it.

chimp koose

thanks guys , I think the kids should be ok in a while. My son used to ride and mentioned that he always rode through intersections with the clutch in when a left turner was waiting at the light . He caught a piece of separated tire tread under the back wheel of his bike one night while accelerating back on to the highway that sent him into a complete roll over on his 1800 Kawasaki .The ape hanger handlebars and short sissy bar on the bike probably saved him from being crushed . As to the chassis question , anyone can make a mistake , I have heard directly from a known rod builder in our area of a chassis he got from a big name chassis builder that had one motor mount farther back than the other by more than half an inch . He just fixed it as it would have taken more time to get it done any other way .

idrivejunk

Yup, more than once.

It depends. I have had vendors that took care of it at no cost to me, including shipping, and one other. a big name, that basically told me to go to hell, they didn't make mistakes. I also had one, a fairly minor problem, that paid me to fix it.

The GTH response is probably safe to anticipate. Thanks. If I can ask another, what served as a suitable measuring reference point or datum plane as proof in these cases and what instrument is the valid measuring device?
Matt

kb426

I had a man come to my house this morning to get many engine parts. These were upgrade parts for the 32 that didn't get used. I made the guy a deal because there isn't always a buyer. :) The pile is getting smaller. He was right on time after driving 80 miles. That was very nice. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

RE: Chassis mistakes..  Mistakes happen.  Even when this stuff is built in a fixture jig. Fit stuff, check it twice, measure twice or 3 times.  These shops likely pay by the "piece" built.

We bought 4 CNC machines 3 yrs ago. 2 mills, 2 lathes.  We will have parts out of spec from batch to batch. What whizzes me off is when the CNC lead guy wants to 'not' check problems properly.

In november was the recent 'go round' on  a billet piston that was out of spec... I showed the lead CNC guy how the OEM piston fit and our in house billet piston fit.  With a WAG I told him it was .005 to .006 too small ID and one step for one of the lip seals was not deep enough.  

After many measure tools were re-applied.  He agreed.

The older CNC guy  that checked parts 100% with a mic , caliper , " Go , No go" tool as needed .. just quit in december.  He had not worked on the thm-400 pistons that were tight fit.. LOL

);b(
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

^^^^^
On your list of retirement reasons. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Yup, more than once.

The GTH response is probably safe to anticipate. Thanks. If I can ask another, what served as a suitable measuring reference point or datum plane as proof in these cases and what instrument is the valid measuring device?

A Laser level, a tape measure, and photographs.

idrivejunk

Thank you sir. Much obliged.  :)  Did not find a hood in any pix of the '66 so I made an inquiry.

Hey I did just go get oil change stuff for the blown Pontiac. Thats my car work today. :lol:
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"^^^^^
On your list of retirement reasons. :)

chit...  I could use a half a roll of paper towels to write out reasons for me to retire now.

As example:

Company has 'finally " started the termination information documentation on a guy they hired back for the 3rd time in 2019....  After 4 of us in the dept told the owner and GM "Do not hire him back"..

2 years ago: his 2nd termination came after a drive shaft fell out of a truck as it drove from the rack after a transmission install. LOL .. That whole job was re-checked. :roll:

He has some "mental issues"  that he self medicates with meth and alcohol. This guy has been "mis placing transmission parts" as he tears them down and washes them  .. big stuff like: Drums, input shafts, output shafts, valve bodies.

He came in friday morning with his face and left hand burned with blisters. He claimed a bbq accident. We think he over juiced his meth pipe and it blew up in his face.  We told him to see a  doctor Now.

Sorry: I rambled a bit.  :!:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I'm going through some old papers. This invoice is from 1929. My grandfather bought a new model a.
TEAM SMART