Auto trans question

Started by kb426, January 03, 2018, 06:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

My son is looking at an 05 chevy colorado with the 5 cyl and what appears to be a 4l60e trans that is non-functioning. Does it require special tools or knowledge to rebuild one? Is that a bad idea completely? :) Thank you.
TEAM SMART

Arnold

I don't like knocking other peoples rides/or ideas. I have had a few myself :oops:  :twisted:
I have known a few people who have had these..they were not happy. I have talked to people who know these..and fix them. Bad things were said about them. A few things that I do know..around that vintage the headlight assemblies were basically just held in place by rinky dink plastic spacer like gizms that broke. And were dealer only..stupid expensive..like $500 bucks years ago. The aftermarket may have fixed this. I dunno. The rear brakes..something..emergency brake..I dunno..was just an impossible complicated horribly expensive repair. Again..the aftermarket may have fixed that too. Iirc correctly..you had to buy pretty much the entire braking system from the E brake handle right back to the rear all as one assembly. A buddy had one..I needed him to help me move some stuff. I paid him..and his gas. Not much and not much weight went into his Colorado. All highway driving. My loaded 1 ton extended work van and his Colorado used the same amount of fuel :shock: (Both got around 20mpg Cdn at about 95 km/hr.)He said it was not good on fuel :roll: I don't know about those trans or fixing them. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Yrmv. My .02.

Crosley.In.AZ

Do you want to replace parts or rebuild the trans correctly?

many folks replace parts and call it a rebuild.

It takes tools to set the trans pump correctly (depth gauge micrometers)

The valve body's wear out a few valves and often need service.  More tools

Tools to remove internal spring retainers in the drums.  Handy folks like yerself can build those tools.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Okiedokie

I have a friend who just sold one he had for several years, he loved it but needed a heavier truck. My grandson has one that was a piece of junk, his mother let a friend of theirs get it at an auction. Anyway I have helped him replace all the brakes, no problem other than worn to the bone. Headlights were cheap on Rock Auto. Plus way too much other stuff, but that is not the trucks fault. Ye they were both 2005 five cylinder auto trans trucks.

kb426

Thanks for the input. I have recommended he run the other way rapidly. :)
TEAM SMART

32 Chevy

I have an 07 Colorado and have had zero problems other than normal wear. At 107,000 miles it still has the original brakes! It uses no oil and gets 22 mpg hwy. no, its not like my duramax..... keep in mind that GM designed it as a daily commuter type truck, not a carryall. It wont carry thousands of  pounds but it sure is comfortable to drive and easy to park.