&#$@ Gaskets...

Started by Rayvyn, December 23, 2006, 10:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayvyn

Not many of the folks on here are running the stock oil canister type of filter on their cars that have the bolt that screws up through the canister into the mount. I wanted to keep my 287 pretty much stock so I opted for the OEM type of filter. I had forgotten about the thin gasket ring that comes with these filters and how much of a P.I.T.A. these things were to seal correctly. So yeah, I chewed the new one up a little when I installed it, it leaked, and no one sells just the gasket anymore... :(D)

So after I struck out at 4 different auto parts chains, a tractor repair garage, 2 commercial truck parts outfits, and even a marina, I was ready to cash in the canister and spend for the spin on adapter... :evil:

Until I tried Home Depot... :idea:

Hanging in their plumbing repair section was a 4 1/4" sink strainer repair gasket for the whopping price of $.99 ea.  I bought 2 just to be safe, took them home, and it fit like a glove... 8)

A handy piece of info for the leadsled guys. Now if I could only find a Hollander that matches home improvement items with car parts, I'd save a fortune in gas and time spent getting blanks stares from the counter jockeys at the local parts stores... :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

enjenjo

Years ago I had a trick for installing those gaskets, but it's been so long I forgot it. :shock:  I worked for a fleet that had GMC trucks with Pontiac engines in them
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

I had a mid 60's Chevelle with that type of filter.....When you hit a piece of someone elses exhaust pipe they deposited in the middle of the road and it bends that stud.....It only takes a split second to drain the oil  :shock:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Charlie Chops 1940

First thing I used to do was take an ice pick and remove the old gasket then when I put the new one in I used a little dab of wheel bearing grease wiped all around the gasket edge. Worked every time. I used to have a little tune-up. brake and oil change side business at home in the early 70's and often found 2 or 3 of those gaskets up in the block recess.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

As C C 1940 says : I used grease to hold the gasket in place..

I would hold the cannister from rotating as it contacted the rubber seal....tighten the center bolt and get the oil in the motor.

:b-d:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jusjunk

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. I wonder what they use in Texas as a lubricant :?:  :wink:
Dave

phat rat

Quote from: "jusjunk"Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. I wonder what they use in Texas as a lubricant :?:  :wink:
Dave

Vaseline! :oops:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "Rayvyn"Not many of the folks on here are running the stock oil canister type of filter on their cars that have the bolt that screws up through the canister into the mount. I wanted to keep my 287 pretty much stock so I opted for the OEM type of filter. I had forgotten about the thin gasket ring that comes with these filters and how much of a P.I.T.A. these things were to seal correctly. So yeah, I chewed the new one up a little when I installed it, it leaked, and no one sells just the gasket anymore... :(D)

So after I struck out at 4 different auto parts chains, a tractor repair garage, 2 commercial truck parts outfits, and even a marina, I was ready to cash in the canister and spend for the spin on adapter... :evil:

Until I tried Home Depot... :idea:

Hanging in their plumbing repair section was a 4 1/4" sink strainer repair gasket for the whopping price of $.99 ea.  I bought 2 just to be safe, took them home, and it fit like a glove... 8)

A handy piece of info for the leadsled guys. Now if I could only find a Hollander that matches home improvement items with car parts, I'd save a fortune in gas and time spent getting blanks stares from the counter jockeys at the local parts stores... :D

Before I got too excited about my "find", I think I would soak the spare gasket in oil overnight to make sure it is neoprene or some other such oil-resistant material.

I would hate to have a gasket blow out on the highway!

Keep in mind that HD is seeking PRICE!

Most products they sell are engineered to be made from the cheapest materials that will do the job......

.....and, most kitchen sinks do not see a wide variety of automotive fluids, so resistance to petroleum products is, likely, NOT a priority.

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

tomslik

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "jusjunk"Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. I wonder what they use in Texas as a lubricant :?:  :wink:
Dave

Vaseline! :oops:

polygrip :shock:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

rooster

Nice cure Rayvyn! :D  Let us know if it leaks.

Rayvyn

Quote from: "rooster"Nice cure Rayvyn! :D  Let us know if it leaks.

So far, so good. It's been about a week since the repair and the motor's been run for awhile everyday, and so far no leaks...!

I forgot to mention that I had to chip away about 5 old gaskets and a pound of permatex. Everyone just kept adding gaskets and goop to keep it from leaking all these years.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

EMSjunkie

Dave

Lanolin.

it occurs naturally is Sheep.

just rub yer part all over 'em, and for ya know it, yer lubed!! :-o

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

purplepickup

Quote from: "Bob Paulin"
Before I got too excited about my "find", I think I would soak the spare gasket in oil overnight to make sure it is neoprene or some other such oil-resistant material.

I would hate to have a gasket blow out on the highway!

Keep in mind that HD is seeking PRICE!

Most products they sell are engineered to be made from the cheapest materials that will do the job......

.....and, most kitchen sinks do not see a wide variety of automotive fluids, so resistance to petroleum products is, likely, NOT a priority.

B.P.
Good thoughts Bob.  I made a gas cap "rubber" gasket once and the vapors softened it and made it swell to about 3 times it's original size.  It was no longer useful as a gasket. :oops:
George

John

The other posters are correct that rubber for a sink is likely to not be oil/gas/heat resistant. What is needed is NBR or equivalent.

Shameless pitch here, and if that is against the forum rules I apologize. I run a custom gasket business and we can help the OP or any other members needing one-off or small gasket runs. You can find out more at //www.gasketstogo.com.

John

enjenjo

Quote from: "John"The other posters are correct that rubber for a sink is likely to not be oil/gas/heat resistant. What is needed is NBR or equivalent.

Shameless pitch here, and if that is against the forum rules I apologize. I run a custom gasket business and we can help the OP or any other members needing one-off or small gasket runs. You can find out more at //www.gasketstogo.com.

John

That kind of depends John. If this is a hit and run post, then it's against the rules. If you are going to stick around and participate, then it's not. For the time being, since this is relavent, I'll leave it up.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.