Kanter 10% off sale from Friday to Monday

Started by 58 Yeoman, November 22, 2018, 11:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

Kanter has a sale on this weekend, and I'm wanting to rebuild the front end on the Galaxie after I finish the rear springs. Has anyone had to replace the inner shafts on their front ends. The odo shows 84000, but we all know how that goes. Everything at the rear came apart very easily with no bolts snapping. I'd hate to spend the extra $100 only to find that they don't need replacing.

When I did the Yeoman in the 90's, I didn't replace the shafts and everything went well...but, this is a Ford. Could be different?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Just for your information, Kanters suspension parts are sourced off shore and are not very good quality. I would not use them on a car that will see a lot of road miles. From experience.

On the cross shafts, as I recall you Ford used metal bushings. The shafts will probably need replaced.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Thanks for the info Frank. Are there ANY places that don't have off shore parts anymore?  When I bought the brake parts earlier this year for the Ford at NAPA, I jokingly asked if they were made in the USA. He laughed, and said no.

Phil

enjenjo

The last time I used Kanter front end parts, the customer supplied them and insisted I use them, Holes didn't line up, bushings were cracked in the box, and some of the tapered studs were lopsided.

I have had good luck with NAPA premium front end parts. Most are made in Japan or Korea, but are of good quality.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

I passed on the Kanter sale. I did get the rear springs in, and the car sits at a nice height in the rear. The lower front looks good also, but I think I might still install the front coils at a later date. I had taken one spring to a local spring shop (40 miles away) and he said he could put in another leaf in mine, but he might have to re-arch a leaf or two, and a possibility was there for a leaf to crack. The leafs and labor would be about $250. I got all new springs, albeit 5 leafs instead of the original 4, for less money and the same amount of work.

Phil