Car Magazines

Started by enjenjo, April 16, 2023, 05:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

My subscription to Hot Rod is coming up For renewal. I have noticed a lot of the content lately is left over articles from the magazines they stopped a few years ago. You can tell the articles were intended for Car Craft Street Rodder, and Hot rod Deluxe by the bylines and text style. I don't know if I am going to renew or not.

I am getting Modern Rodder, Wheels of Time, Vintage Truck, and a couple others to keep me occupied in the bathroom.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

enjenjo , have you seen Canadian Rodder? might be a thought to replace your hot rod sub. I do not think I have seen anything newer that 70s stuff in it .

kb426

I let my subscription run out. Not so much about the content but they sent me a renewal for $10 and then tried to charge me way more. I sent several emails and even a letter and never received a reply. I don't think they wanted my business. :) I'm reading Modern Rodder on line but I really don't like the online deal. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

QuoteI'm reading Modern Rodder on line but I really don't like the online deal.

Neither do I
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

I quit magazines and TV at least a decade ago. I'm the only person I know who even checks news. Hot Rod stopped having any relevance to me and Car Craft went the same way. My fault for comitting career / hobby suicide by working on stuff that goes in mags. Both were so ridiculously overly aggressively telemarketed that I did not care to tolerate them any longer. Rodders Journal is more of a coffee table book but little by little I am soaking in a fat stack of those thanks to a friend. :)
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

I stopped magazines decades ago.. We watch a few TV automotive shows till we tire of the same format over & over & over.

Doubtful many folks read my comments on the olde TV shows I watch lately.  Odd (?) or funny thing is  on many of these shows I am not watching the main action in the scene.  I am looking at the background, props, walls, how furniture is set up. The old  Cop shows I watch how poorly the firearms are handled. Telly Savalas TV show was terrible on firearm handling.

I watched a Columbo TV show the other evening to see him driving the Peugeot car that was used in the series.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

I read your comments on the old shows, and am tired of the new shows with so much cgi.  Seems EVERY car accident has cars flying through the air, and of course, every car explosion is comparable the bombing in the world wars.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

GPster

I let my car subscriptions die as they did. I di renew my Rodder's Journal on a 3 year deal probably about 3 years ago which was before their s l o w  d o w n and they still honored it when the last issue crept out but I can't find out if they're gone for good. Any information I ever got about their publishing came from Pat Gunahl's site but now that's dormant. I probably have them since issue #7 and they will probably travel the same way the last bunch of magazines did but he's getting as old as I am. GPster

lofat46

I'm letting my Hot Rod sub run out, had a 3 year deal for like $24.00. Not much relevant in it any more. Subscribe to Modern Rodding, a great replacement for Street Rodder with many of the same editorial staff.  Since I belong to NSRA and Goodguys I still get Street Scene and Goodguys Gazette. In the '70's and '80's I was getting 6-7 a month, Hot Rod, Street Rodder, Rod Action, R & C, Rodder's Digest, Street Scene and GG Gazette.

chimp koose

The only 2 subs I ever had were street rodder in the 70's and super stock and drag illustrated in the early 80's . I have over 1000 mags at home ,I used to buy them at the news stand when there was an article/car that interested me . Maybe that is why I can look at the cover of most of my magazines and tell you about an article that I read in it .

Crosley.In.AZ

Interesting how this topic was brpught up... We were in the laundry arena recently here at the resort. Warshing our clothes ya know.

People bring in magazines to the laundry arena for others to take , read , ?  One was the Hemmings Classic Cars mag. I will admit I enjoyed reading thru the mag as we waited on the machines to abuse our clothes.

Its best to watch your clothes , as it seems many of these olde pharts steal clothes.  >:( 
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

I too let my magazine subs run out several years ago. They were getting thinner and thinner, with more and ore of it being advertorial content that consisted of little more than sales pitches for the kinds of things you bolt together to build a really expensive car.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

rumrumm

I also let my subscriptions to magazines lapse. I get the member magazines for GoodGuys and NSRA, so I see the ads for parts and can read an occasional article. If I need to know something, I go online and search for it.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

slocrow

My last, Hotrod, just ran out, even with the Street Rodder extention credit. "They" even continued to send me 3 more editions past the X date. Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...