Desperate for PC help!

Started by jaybee, February 13, 2004, 05:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

:oops:

OK, I screwed up here.  Updated our main PC from WinME to WinXP and lost all of our saved email (Outlook Express) and address book in the process.  SWMBO is not amused!  All of the existing files are still on our hard drive, I can find them all in Explorer.  Can someone help me?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Cword

Quote from: "jaybee":oops:

OK, I screwed up here.  Updated our main PC from WinME to WinXP and lost all of our saved email (Outlook Express) and address book in the process.  SWMBO is not amused!  All of the existing files are still on our hard drive, I can find them all in Explorer.  Can someone help me?

If you start up outlook express and look under the file menu you should find and "Import" funtion which should enable you to at least recover the address books.  The import messages selection may recover your locally saved mail

mike
--

41ChevyTrucker

I think the mail file is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAMEHERE\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft

You should be able to go in to outlook and find the setting under options mail file location or something like that and then choose your original file and it will restore all your messages back.

58Apache

I agree with the IMPORT option. Click on FILE at the top left then look for IMPORT and EXPORT. I have the full blown Outlook, so not sure what you will see with Express.

If you find the Outlook.pst file and the Personal Address Book ?.pab  that's what you want to import.

As for making a mistake ....no way!  You did the right thing. You will be MUCH happier getting off the old MS 98 Operating system. This is MUCH more stable and secure. Just be sure to click on START then Windows Update ...if you don't find it there ...look under All Programs at the top left. You need to install all critical security patches.

Always have a good personal firewall and a GOOD anti-virus program running.

41ChevyTrucker

I just looked at my outlook express. Open Outlook Express and go to TOOLS ---> OPTIONS --> click on MAINTENANCE tab. There you will see STORE FOLDER. Click on that and you will see the current store location. If you can find your old store location you just switch it to that. For example my current store location is

C:\Documents and Settings\erics\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{2A90F6B4-E7CC-42AE-9A5A-F2A0194E812F}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Outlook Express does NOT use .PST files.  It uses .DBX files. Only full blown Outlook that comes with ms office uses PST files.

Hope that helps.