Ive got the blues about blues

Started by chimp koose, March 03, 2022, 09:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

My last reply got me to think about asking you guys a question . What shades of blue have you seen and liked . I am still quite a way from paint on my T but am always looking for a blue that I would really like . I really like washington blue in the sunlight but find it too dark / blackish when it is not in direct sun . I would like a shade of blue that is brighter but not too light . Anyone found a nice one ? I want a single stage non metallic colour . I like navajo blue but it might look too light in direct sun

chimp koose

I was planning on using Tacoma cream on the wire wheels and pin striping . Maybe upholstery to match the cream.

idrivejunk

Washington on fenders, Navajo on body, Apple green wheels.and pins, cream interior, wide whites.

Mix Washington and Navajo.

I like Grabber. And good old code 29 midnight offa smog era chevy trucks. But its dark dark.
Matt

chimp koose

Grabber is close to what I am hoping for but a little too light yet . Hoping for a bit darker .

idrivejunk

Which metal flake will you be using? :)
Matt

chimp koose

I will be using metalflake on the dashboard. I have visions of using the same type of colour with flake on the dash as well as the pearl stuff used on pick guards / drum wraps in a shade similar to the tacoma cream used on my wheels/pinstripe . 8) I would like the car to have a stock appearance from a distance (across the parking lot )  that becomes evident that its a hot rod as you get closer and notice the size of the tires and rubber rake. I have always liked the look of a stock model T body and my car will retain that . the painted wire wheels should help pull that off . The harley chopper I am helping build and the mini chopper I am doing with my students will be full on flake !

jaybee

I really like this one, which is Ford Aqua Blue Metallic, paint code TH. It's a true blue, not a trace of purple to it, and really glows in the sun. https://dygtyjqp7pi0m.cloudfront.net/i/36521/31559321_1.jpg?v=8D6313E4E083D00
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

Check this chart out, shoot me some numbers:

https://www.pantone-colours.com/

Saw the little blue car pic. You posted it while I was getting that Pantone link. I might get closer with a Pantone number than with a pic, just have to try.

I think to get an effect like you describe it would be best to stick with the subdued prewar tones that are mostly black or white plus some color. Using two, to me, on an A and not so sure about on a T... gives an upscale but ancient vibe. Ritzy, babied.

An obviously modern color blows your cover a mile away. I can't imagine fooling anybody with roddy width meats either. So, my advice (only worth what you think of it) is if you want the rich tasty sweet street rod color... lose the from 50 paces its a sleeper dream, embrace hotness, and be loud and bright about it. Shine on. 8)

I'll see what I can cook up. Yours is a 26, eh?
Matt

Fat Cat

I just bought this truck in this color. GMC calls it Dynamic Blue Metallic. It was not my first choice, I was looking for the current red color. But the Blue was my second choice.

idrivejunk

I don't get to say this at work, but...

What I've been given is not good enough to work with. You'd be better served by someone else if thats all there is. I gave up at 25 layers. The tools and knowledge I posess are not enough even if my imaginary duty could go so far as to provide a legal and satisfactory series of images. I don't know how. Others can probably hook you right up for free. This is as far as I got. Its blue :)
Matt

chimp koose

Pantone 286 287 288 are right in the ballpark I think . Thanks to everyone for the help . I will be spraying this one myself so I want to stay single stage non metallic ( I am sure I will be colour sanding).My daughters place is out on 10 miles of gravel road . I would like a paint I can touch up easily . IDJ the tires in the picture you colorized are for setting up ride height , they are the right height but 3" wider than what will be used . those are 11x 33 slicks , I will be using 285 70 15s , their section width is about as wide as the tread on the slicks .Hopefully it will look the part of a stocker to some extent .  I have a few too many friends who have put $$$ into beautifully finished cars only to have them sit in the garage for fear of damaging the investment . I hope to wear out the windshield wipers driving this thing rain or shine .

idrivejunk

I got confused. My first post assumed that like many do, you were limiting yourself to solid colors. Then two metallic / pearl colors were posted. Creating a usable image that I have a right to post is too much work. IF a guy wanted to see suggestions, he'd need a photo of a complete car with shine. Like at HAMB where half a dozen guys willingly do perfect and free edits every other day. In my experience, people won't ask when they want one from me so I offer it if I'm interested. I have the interest. If something not photographic would do, I enjoy that more. Theres just no accuracy or realism that way and only a few colors so those don't help. So I assume edited photos are all anyone would want.

Paint places may be able get formulas on pantone colors via cross reference data, fyi. I'll look at your picks but from here it looks like only the most crude color representation, sans wheels and realism... is within reach. But theres a stormy afternoon ahead. :arrow:

I used the pic I did because it had a wire wheel in it. Slim Pickins.
Matt

chimp koose

IDJ sorry to put you to all that work . I will be doing flake and such on the dash of the car and am not looking for help there . All I am looking for are suggestions of colours to look up or if you want to post a picture of something in a particular colour as others have done that would be great . I do not have any better pictures of my coupe to post . Your rendering with colour is the first time I have ever seen my car 1 colour , I have owned it for 20 years ! Thanks for that . There is a post on the HAMB about washington blue and another about blue hot rods that I look for daily . The washington blue one is what has shown me how dark that colour can get . I am still looking for a solid colour .

idrivejunk

I like this gunmetal and black combo, it looks threatening-

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/571413.jpg

With a light interior though, a Navajo blue (turquoise) like this is what I like-

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTn79qp2Oz3dknWfUbbgesuCkkD6HTU01yIhQBweOOZ6KtNMzoBd1vENNk&s

Thats Valspar 5AA4AD.

To me, and I'm not terribly relevant in pre- GTO discussions... it seems black fenders would lend to your stock facade most readily. Body color says rodded IMHO.

As for Washington, even though its blue, just doesn't appeal to me much. I painted my room that color as a kid, as backdrop for all my hanging plane models and diorama. Among other reasons, its the red shades of dark blue that just don't look as good as ones on the greener side. This is why I suggested trying half and half washington and navajo earlier. It might create a likeable unusual hue with a value between the two, that could pass as a stock looking color.

If you were wanting the color-dipped street rod look with it all bathed in one color, that blue from the good ol PPG logo is about what I'd picture. Just a plain bright blue. Tough to get any consensus with so few responses. Thats about all I've got to say on it. No luck finding an image to use
Matt

chimp koose

I will be painting the fenders the same as body colour  , that is one thing I did not care for on original T 's . There are many images on auto hobby page sorted by year and make . I have been looking there . Again , this car will not see paint for quite a while , probably years .