2023: What are you doing today?

Started by 58 Yeoman, January 01, 2023, 10:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

Quick question on Cashier's checks.  I've got a guy from MO wants to buy the Yeoman with a Cashier's check, coming in on Monday. He's already sent me a picture of the check with a phone number and two contacts at the bank. I tried calling the bank 5 times, but never got to a customer rep.  I called my bank, and they said they can't verify the check of another bank.

The guy is 3 to 4 hours away and didn't want to travel with 30k, nor take 7 to 10 days to get the full amount from the bank.  Maybe someone knows the guy, his name is Dave Walters from Fenton, MO., and is into vintage race cars.  How do you guys handle large amounts of money on car sales?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

lofat46

If he has the cash in his bank, it should be easy to transfer the entire amount to your account in a bank to bank transfer. Once your bank verifies it's in your account, give him the title. I've never personally done it, but friends have met with the buyer in the seller's bank, money gets transferred, verified, done deal.

kb426

Phil, a cashiers check is no different than a personal check. I took one for an engine in 1991 for around 13 grand. It was drawn on the Bank of America. I tried to cash it in 2 different banks in Flagstaff where I delivered the engine. One was a BOA branch. They both refused to cash it. When I got home, I told a banker I know the story and she said they shouldn't do that. But they did. If you take the check and can take it to the bank and get it verified, you would probably be ok. I wouldn't travel with that much cash either. But if you can have him do a wire transfer and have your bank hold it in escrow until he picks up the car, that is an option. The last 2 cars I sold that were sold long distance were all paid by wire transfer before they left my house. If Wzjunk checks in, he may know this guy and might be able to offer some help.
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

The nearest US Bank is an hour away in Bloomington/Normal.  I'm going to call that branch tomorrow when they open and see if they can shed any light.  He's buying the car sight unseen, going by what I tell him on the phone and the FBMP ad.  I hope it's not a "too good to be true" story.

Phil

kb426

Phil, everytime I have done this, I have been a little nervous. When I sold the white 51, I took a cashiers check but the buyer lived 35 miles away and was a business owner and a farmer. We met in person when I showed the buyer the truck so that's definately different. I took that check to my bank and deposited it. By the time I drove home, it had been cleared as good. I've taken checks and held titles until the check cleared also. Never when I was more than a 1000 miles away or overseas as in the sale of the 32. :) You are probably aware of this but my thought is to stay calm and don't let your mind run away. If your bank has an escrow department, he could send the wire transfer and they would hold it. I understand that there are a jillion ways to get taken and with all of the arm chair experts, you don't know what to believe. I think it's your turn to be successful. :)
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

My bank told me you can stop payment on a cashiers check.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

58 Yeoman

A friend of mine used to sell a lot of machinery, and would always take the check to the bank it was written on, but they were usually close by.  I sold a dune buggy once to a shady looking character, and my wife took the check to the bank six miles away and cashed it.  A few hours later, the bank called and asked if we could bring back the money. LOL.  We called my bank and they verified that we keep the money.  The guy had written the check on his grand mothers account and he wasn't authorized.  He had also written checks for other cars, and ended up spending some time in jail for it.

Phil

kb426

After having a computer mess this week, my son had parts left over from some of his upgrades and they got installed in my case. He did a fresh install of Windows 11. The parts he used are kind of a hot rod. The performance is good. I have everything back to where I have been currently working. There was some stuff from 2010 that I haven't used in quite a while so I left it off. I have created a system image and am creating a boot drive as I type. I built that machine in 2009. If the replacement lasts as long, it should be the last one. :) It was windows 7 when I put it together. I was very happy with that system. I wonder if 11 will be stable? :) Years ago, building a machine let you pick your components and have more for less. I don't know if that's still the case. 
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I made the last panels for the bike tank today . I was just about to cut up an old tank to use the neck and cap when my buddy suggests I check to see if replacement caps are available . On his trip to sturgis last summer his group was nearly stranded when one of the bikes ended up missing a fuel cap and no replacement could be found . In searching for a replacement cap for the tank that I was using I found out that the tank I was about to cut up is actually sort of valuable , like $150ish so I am going to the wrecker to get one from an old truck if I can find one . 

phat46

Hi guys, I haven't been around much lately, just life I guess. If anyone remembers I built a 383 stroker a year or so ago and the cam went flat in it.I took the cam out of another engine I had and put it in the stroker.I finally got it started yesterday and it seems to be running well, but with some of the usual startup gremlins. First I had to
Rewire the alternator circuit due to my own inattention, then after it started the was a massive oil leak under the car. Again my own inattention as the oil pan bolts were only finger tight.🤪 today I ran it again and now the thermostat is not opening, I shut it off at 229*. At least it's idleing with 68 pnds of oil pressure and my fuel line doesn't leak now! 👍🏼

kb426

Phat46, did you check to see if you have an airlock in the cooling system?
It warmed up some today so O&S went to the shop. 1st item was to take the broken cam sensor and turn it into a dedicated oil pump primer for Fords. I pressed off the gear and removed the spacer to allow the shaft to come out. I cut the sensor end off and stuck it in the lathe. I turned the end down to 3/8" and put the spacer back on. I then primed the engine and ran it long enough to have oil out of all of the pushrods. I installed new orings on the fuel injectors and installed the lower intake. The upper is just held in place with 2 bolts. I installed the headers to see if all was ok. They are cloned from the Pertronix versions. Just like them, 2 bolts don't clear the pipes for installation. :) I'm going to make up some spacers to allow longer bolts to rectify that situation. A few less piles in the shop. :)
TEAM SMART

phat46

KB426, the top hose was cold, as was the rad, I figured nothing was circulating at all. I already switched out the t-stat, we'll find out tomorrow!

Crosley.In.AZ

Watched a season 1 episode 1 Perry Mason the other evening. Interesting on how the show was in early first year. Perry was driving a 57 Ford retractable roof car. Lots of convertible cars in the whole show over the years

A later episode in season 1  Paul Drake was driving a corvette. Must have been a 1957 Vette..   Paul was usually in a T-bird in later shows. 
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

The buyer from MO arrived today with the cashier's check and a trailer.  He called US Bank and talked with a woman there who verified that the check was good. He drove off with the car, and I deposited the check in the bank.  He said he's going to take off the chrome wheels and raised white letter tires and use the original black wheels with the poverty hubcaps and wide whitewall tires.  It's what he likes with cars of that age.  Have at it, it's your car now.

Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: 58 Yeoman on March 20, 2023, 05:06:12 PMThe buyer from MO arrived today with the cashier's check and a trailer.  He called US Bank and talked with a woman there who verified that the check was good. He drove off with the car, and I deposited the check in the bank.  He said he's going to take off the chrome wheels and raised white letter tires and use the original black wheels with the poverty hubcaps and wide whitewall tires.  It's what he likes with cars of that age.  Have at it, it's your car now.

Sounds like all is well with the money..  The tow vehicle is way too small to pull that trailer and load.

:o
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)