Oil Pressure Question

Started by 50 F1, May 23, 2022, 05:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50 F1

I have owned the motor for years. I bought a car with it in it. Took it out and built a new motor for the car.

Mid 70's 350 Chevy. Nothing special, probably all stock. I have never had heads or pan off.

10/40 oil

Cold start oil pressure is 50lbs

When the motor gets to 185/190 degrees oil pressure is 5lbs

Motor sounds good. No knocks or clatters or smoke.

oil pressure is from a new gauge set, electric.

What do you think?

Would a new oil pump help?

Maybe oil pick/up came off the pump

Any info would be great.
Thanks Mike

kb426

What rpm are you pulling those numbers from?
TEAM SMART

50 F1

No tach, but idle around 800rpms warm 5lbs and cold 50lbs

55mph around 2000rpms 30psi warm

jaybee

You might start with a different pressure gauge to validate. You haven't said how many miles you have on this rebuild. An oil pump problem isn't out of the question but that's usually sort of a "fingers crossed" solution to a problem that's most commonly worn bearings.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

chimp koose

10 psi per 1000 rpm is all you need. Could be the by-pass spring in the pump is weak or the piston is stuck partially open .Might be a set of worn bearings. It may also be a cooling system in need of a flush . We ran a 1/2 filled race motor years ago that got the bottom filled half of the motor warm enough to cause the mains to grow and lose substantial oil pressure . How hot is the oil getting ?  I would knock the pan off and replace the pump and possibly bearing shells followed by a good flush of the cooling system . Naturally if the crank looks worn you could plastigage it before replacing the shells.

50 F1

I have to tell you what I did, it's been over a year.
I put a mechanical fan on, built a full shroud and put some openings in the side panels. This all helped a lot. The motor is staying cooler an and I am sure the oil is cooler also so I have more oil pressure. All is good. Thanks for your help.
37 Plymouth 2dr sedan slant back.