Getting a lost title

Started by 58 Yeoman, August 03, 2018, 08:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

How hard is it getting a lost title now days? My Yeoman came with a salvage title, and I was able to get that changed back in the 90's. In the 80's, I bought a VW Karmann Ghia with a lost title, and was able to get a replacement from the state with the original owners family consent; they didn't want the car, but didn't know where the title was.

There is a car for sale in WI w/o a title. Has it gotten harder to get titles?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

phat46

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"How hard is it getting a lost title now days? My Yeoman came with a salvage title, and I was able to get that changed back in the 90's. In the 80's, I bought a VW Karmann Ghia with a lost title, and was able to get a replacement from the state with the original owners family consent; they didn't want the car, but didn't know where the title was.

There is a car for sale in WI w/o a title. Has it gotten harder to get titles?

It seems to vary state to state, it's not too bad here in Mi, but some states it seems impossible. I see cars without titles in N.C. and it seems like there is no way to get one there, or it's extremely difficult. I would check with the Wi. S O S, and your local one too.

58 Yeoman

Phil

UGLY OLDS

I see a bazillion $$$$ in chrome work .... :shock:
If you need a project, can you get the Pontiac back   :?:   THAT was a deal ...... :oops: ( I wish that I had the room available when that came up for sale .... :(   ) ......
  HEY .....  I GOT IT ....  :idea:  :idea:
Why not talk to Frank about the '48 Chev collection that he has for sale  :?:  :?:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

It varies from state to state. In Ohio if you are the owner, and it's still in the title system it is just a matter of applying for a replacement title. If you are not the original owner, or it is old enough to be out of the system, you need a notarized note from God , and written permission from the governor to get one.

As stated above Michigan is fairly easy, although they had a newer requirement in the last couple years that you have to have a tax appraisal from a licenced dealer and pay sales tax on that amount.

Some of the other states have provisions for bonded titles, some will title from a registration if the car is old enough. Best to check locally.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Frank is tied with the best 'deterent' reply. The Secretary of States office is tied with Frank. The WI seller needs to get a title or IL won't do anything for getting a title. Now, back to my regularly scheduled programming.  :shock:

Do I REALLY need another project? I don't think so.

Thanks for the replies.

Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Arizona title laws can be tough. Thanks to the car auctions here.

Guys tell me the bonded title is easier in AZ now.  I have not done that method in years tho. Also heard the bond amount required is often higher too.  

You guys know how : "what you hear and the truth are usually different"
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

Anyway, I sent him an email stating that it was too bad there isn't a title. He replied that it did sell already. Good. No more temptation...

Phil