'99 Ford Ranger starting/stalling

Started by 58 Yeoman, September 06, 2009, 09:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

A few weeks ago, my Ranger would stall right after starting.  I checked it out, and found the tps had come loose.  I tightened it up after lubing it, and all seemed well.  After a couple weeks, it started doing it again, but the tps was tight; I checked the wiring connections and they seemed okay.  Problem gone again.  Thursday, it did it again, so I stopped at napa and ordered a new tps.  I installed it Friday, and all was well all day Saturday while we were hitting the garage sales with a lot of start and stops.

Got in it this morning, and it did it again.  After the first couple stalls, it ran fine.  I stopped at autozone, but they couldn't check it out, because the 'check engine' light isn't on.  Any ideas where to go from here?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

there can be a code history to look at  or soft codes that do not turn on the CEL
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

You can check to see if the idle air passage is gunked up. Clean it with mild carb cleaner. It's possible for the idle air motor to stick too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "Crosley"there can be a code history to look at  or soft codes that do not turn on the CEL

The guy at AZ told me I may have to take it to a dealer to check the codes.

Phil

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "enjenjo"You can check to see if the idle air passage is gunked up. Clean it with mild carb cleaner. It's possible for the idle air motor to stick too.

I'll check that later today.

Thanks for the replies.

Phil

wayne petty

does that model use a air flow meter???    i wonder how the TPS got loose, and if something else is loose...   some of the ductwork loose, cracked or cut????? air leaks between the throttle body and the air flow sensor will cause stalling...

i also agree that a dirty coked up throttle body bore and butterfly will also cause stalling...   as will a coked up idle air flow motor...

its also a shame that HF has bumped their 98614 to 140 bucks.. as that is the cheepest scan tool that shows live obd2 data streams. but it still does not show them all... only emissions...

Crosley.In.AZ

ah yep , the idle air motors and passages is a good point.  

when I worked on general automotive crap , i would see a lot of clogged idle air passages  with GM vehicles with TBI .
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)