My US ride now in Australia

Started by gt28a, August 06, 2007, 08:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt28a

I bought this in St Louis on my last trip to the US in May but am unsure of the year model. Are there any hot rod guru's here that can tell if it's a '32, '33 or '34?
Whats the difference between them?
I've searched the web and cant find any distiguishing features that narrows it down to a particular year.
It's got the laid back 32 style grille (not straight up and down like a passenger car) but I believe all commercial vehicles from 32 to 34 had the same one.

pvcerod

Can't wait to see it in the Flesh GT  :wink:
Happy Cruzin
Steve

gt28a

I had a trade plate for a few days getting the auto serviced etc and that was great fun..... but not as much fun as full rego 8) .....can't wait :D  :D

enjenjo

My guess is a 34, but so much has been changed, it's hard to tell. Does it have a 32 frame under it?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

gt28a

Quote from: "enjenjo"
My guess is a 34, but so much has been changed, it's hard to tell.

I'm hopeing it is a 34. I read somewhere they only made 347 of them.

Does it have a 32 frame under it?

Not a 32 as in passenger car/coupe type frame with the beauty line. I'm not sure if the 32 commercials had that type of frame any way. I rang the previous owner and he told me it was either 33 or 34, but wasn't exactly sure...... even after haveing it built and owning it for 13 years :?

Bib_Overalls

What does the title say? Unless it has the distinctive 32 frame it is most likely a 33/34.  Whatever it is, consider yourself lucky.  Are you going to change over to RHD?
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

gt28a

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"
What does the title say?

It's titled as a 30 Model A...but thats not right. The previous owner gave up trying to get it changed to 33 or 34.

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"

Are you going to change over to RHD?

I'm leaving it LHD. Apart from a few minor changes to suit Aussie DMV it will remain as is. I may have to change the front amber park lights and rear red indicators but thats about it.

art.flame

can't see the doors very well but if the corners are square it's for sur not a 33 or 34
by the looks of the fenders its a 32

gt28a

Here's a 32, 33 and 34. Thru my eyes the fenders all look the same. Mine also has the laid back commercial grille like the middle and bottom pic.

enjenjo

Outside of the laid back grille, and the later frame, the only other major sheet metal difference was an extra  reinforcing rib on the back of the cab. But that part has been cut away on yours, so is of no use in identification.

One other thing, My 32 had a 32 passenger car firewall, I think the 33 and 34 did not, but I am not sure.

gt28a

One other thing, My 32 had a 32 passenger car firewall, I think the 33 and 34 did not, but I am not sure.

The firewall has been changed as well :roll: .....It's flush fit, flat sheet metal now so thats not much of a help either.
Did the 32 have the laid back grille on commercials or the straight up and down grille like the coupes etc?

enjenjo

Straight up and down, but it was different than a passenger car, the shell and grille bars were all one piece.

gt28a

Quote from: "enjenjo"Straight up and down, but it was different than a passenger car, the shell and grille bars were all one piece.

There goes the 32 theory :roll:
From the bit of research I've done I'm thinking it's 33 or 34 for sure.