Fan Question

Started by 50 F1, June 03, 2023, 06:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50 F1

I am working on a 1950 F1.
If I have a full fan shroud can the fan blades be 4" to 5" away from the from the radiator or does it need to be closer.
Thanks Mike 

50 F1

50 F1

I am using a clutch fan. Can a spacer be used to get the fan closer to the radiator or will the weight of the clutch, fan and spacer put to much strain on the water pump?
Thanks Mike

kb426

I think that is too far away unless you have a really good shroud. I have used really long spacers from the factory on 60's Fords without problems. I have become a believer in electric fans with shrouds. The advantage of constant air flow on a good elect. fan becomes apparent in slow speed operation. I'm sure you know that. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

If you build a shroud try to only cover the front half of the fan blades . I have been told they work better that way .

tomslik

take a look at a 70's monte carlo, the fan and the radiator are miles from each other. never seen one with a heating problem.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

idrivejunk

On my Grand Prix, its about a foot from fan to core.
Matt

jaybee

The longest spacers commonly on the market seem to max out at 3", and I see some warnings not to go longer. A good shroud is always a good idea, and in the long hood days of the 1970s there were some pretty long fan shrouds out there.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)