Tech item-pulley liner upper

Started by Rayvyn, May 29, 2007, 10:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayvyn

For lack of a better name, that's what I'll it... :wink:
Here's my contribution that hopefuly someone can use.

I took the generator off the 287 in my 55 Pontiac and opted to go with a Powermaster 3 wire alternator.The old geni was shot and not worth the trouble of re-doing.
Of course the mounting brackets weren't even close to what the alternator needed, and no one sells a conversion bracket for this redo, so I had to fab up a remedy.
There's no room to put anything flat on the face of the water pump pulley, and I wanted something that would allow me to use both the water pump and crank pulley to check the alternator pulley alignment.

I was able to do this by using a simple tool I made. (Of course I didn't take pictures)
I took a 4' piece of 1/2" aluminum box tube and cut it into 2 pieces, 1-30" and 1-18".
I clamped them end to end on the workbench, and fastened the ends together with a simple 1/2"w hinge.
I checked for straightness by folding the piece up and making sure the sides were flush, and extending it and holding a straightedge on it. I then clamped the long end to both pulleys.
Now I had something that sat flush with the face of both pulleys, and the other shorter end would fall to the angle I needed for the alternator. By mounting the alternator on the big geni bracket that bolts to the intake, I was able to tell how far back the bracket had to be moved for the pulleys to line up. This would mean elongating the holes in the bracket and sliding it rearward 3/8th's of an inch.
Making sure the alt. pulley face was flush against the tubing, I bolted it solid on that side, and was able to leave it there while I bent a chrome aftermarket bracket to the exact shape and length I needed for the other side. This took the trial and error out of getting the alt. lined up  without moving it back and forth and taking it on and off, lessoning the danger of throwing the belt while running, if the alignment was off.

Total cost: $4.38
Here's a crude drawing of what I made.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

enjenjo

Good Idea Bry! I'll steal it when I can use it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

good idea but i didn't know a 287 had enough power to run an alternator..... :lol:
the ones i drove couldn't pull a fat girl off a tricycle..
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Rayvyn

Quote from: "tomslik"good idea but i didn't know a 287 had enough power to run an alternator..... :lol:

This one gets up and goes pretty well.
And why do the girls in Colorado insist on riding tricycles... :?:  :P
Funny thing I saw one time: This little Colorado girl was trying to get onto a Big Wheel. She made it on, but was too "stocky" to get her legs moving. She tried getting off, but was stuck. She stood up and walked off, with that Big Wheel still stuck between her legs... :oops:  :D
I saw some heffers out there in a club near Ft. Carson one time; they all had tattoos on their lips and a bell on their neck. I wouldn't have minded so much but they kept flicking their tales and knocking my beer over. We had to throw hay out in the parking lot to get them to leave... :idea:  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :lol:
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

tomslik

Quote from: "Rayvyn"
Quote from: "tomslik"good idea but i didn't know a 287 had enough power to run an alternator..... :lol:

must be the air...or the fact you HAVE some...

just the natives..

Funny thing I saw one time: This little Colorado girl was trying to get onto a Big Wheel. She made it on, but was too "stocky" to get her legs moving. She tried getting off, but was stuck. She stood up and walked off, with that Big Wheel still stuck between her legs... :oops:  :D

why don't we have a "puke" smiley?
it'd be needed here...

I saw some heffers out there in a club near Ft. Carson one time; they all had tattoos on their lips and a bell on their neck. I wouldn't have minded so much but they kept flicking their tales and knocking my beer over. We had to throw hay out in the parking lot to get them to leave... :idea:  

:P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :lol:

:lol: you sure those wern't corn fed iowa girls?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

jusjunk

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "Rayvyn"

must be the air...or the fact you HAVE some...

just the natives..

why don't we have a "puke" smiley?
it'd be needed here...

I saw some heffers out there in a club near Ft. Carson one time; they all had tattoos on their lips and a bell on their neck. I wouldn't have minded so much but they kept flicking their tales and knocking my beer over. We had to throw hay out in the parking lot to get them to leave... :idea:  

:P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :lol:

:lol: you sure those wern't corn fed iowa girls?

Im sure glad he is picking on you this week. He is kinda testy I thin he needs a nap..
Dave :arrow:

UGLY OLDS

Excellent Idea  :!:  :!:  :idea:  And Dave...He has a reason to be "testy"....Remember..He was just made a member of " Team Smart" ...That's enough to ruin anybody's day........ :P  :P
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****