2021: What are you doing today

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2021, 11:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Wow! That humidity would be sucking the energy out of me. We all get accustomed to our surroundings but there has to be some kind of limit as to what the sweat glands can handle. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

We had a new 12x20 barn erected in the back yard, and I painted it last week between rain showers with a sprayer. I wasn't in the sun, and I had to change ALL my clothes at lunch time. I was soaked clean through. We had low 90's with high humidity with a slight breeze. Today, I was outside for a short time and I could hardly breath.

We have a local cruise in tomorrow at 3:30 to 7. I told a buddy that's going if it's as bad tomorrow as it was today, I probably won't be there.

I probably should go though, as Animal Jim will probably be there again. Apparently, he and Ugly Olds were competitors back in the day.  Bob would message me once in a while about Jim. He and I both live near Lacon, and Jim's shop is in town, but he posted in the local paper that he's finally retiring at age 80.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

The HACK Shack and Matt got mentioned in an article about a 69 camaro in the September Modern Rodder mag.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"The HACK Shack and Matt got mentioned in an article about a 69 camaro in the September Modern Rodder mag.

Thanx for the heads-up, Bill. :)

I was puzzled by this news so I had to look. Only 69s I have worked on there weren't that one. It was in polyester when I started there and all I ever did on it was fix a crack after it's first season. Jerry came by my stall to shoot the breeze earlier this summer and said he sold it. I was shocked. He no longer has a hot rod but he is a good buddy. I do have a memory moment of the car. The EFI was still learning so I held the gas to keep it warming up while he registered at it's show debut locally.

I had driven Gary's fresh 67 Nova down with the trailered queen Camaro and when they went to sign in I found myself guarding an idling six figure build with foot on gas, the Nova, and a tow rig. Never having even been around high end builds I was nervy until they got back. The day is permanently etched in memory because after that I pulled the Nova up and parked right next to a signed 66 Batmobile. That really charged my batteries. :)  It was 2010 or '11.

But my generous mention is not deserved and my name only has one L. Andy and Ken were responsible for the outstanding paint & bodywork. Mike didn't even work there yet. It is fully polished underneath. Amazing, immaculate build. RIP, Andy.

If those print publication efforts persist long enough, current projects may well someday appear in the new mags. We can only hope and support, and thank those guys for that.  :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Yesterday was a Grand Three, drove them all. I think my favorite thing about the little black ones is driving the GT for a few days then bustin out the GTP. Seems zippy enough to tear my head off and bangs second about like the TH400. :)  I think it sat a full week this time around. That huffer just makes a placid econobox into a pushy beligerent go-getter I tell you what. 8)
Matt

WZ JUNK

Today I ordered the fourth brake booster/master cylinder assembly for my 54 Chevy.  After testing and talking to many of my friends, who have mechanical knowledge, I determined that the present unit is defective.  Two of the prior units were high end pieces by a street rod/racing distributor.  One of the units was from a company that supplies most of the parts to all of us.  (The oldest speed shop in th US).  This time I am going for one from Amazon.  They all look alike on the outside and I think they all come from just west of here across the Pacific Ocean.  Updates to follow.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

chimp koose

started back on the roadster chassis today . Got my tubes sonic checked first and then started cutting. It sure is nice to use a milling machine to do the fish mouthing . I finished the most complicated tubes tonight . 4 more to go and then this chassis will cert to 7.50. Once this is done I will start back on the T coupe . I think I have figured out the passenger door alignment issue . It will take some cutting and grinding of the recessed firewall and support structure to fix it . Once that is done I can finally install the bear claw latches and get to body work . 8)  Anyone want to buy a NHRA certified mild steel 125"wb roadster chassis ?

chimp koose

More roadster time tonight . One more fish mouth and all the tubes are ready to tig in . 8)

Crosley.In.AZ

Interesting progress on the rehab of this mobile home we bought..  Plan is for a winter home in the valley of the sun here in AZ..

We knew there would be delays on various items, but: 3 to 6 weeks is common we learned.  Kitchen cabinets my wife wanted: 3 months out. Same cabinets in white color are   "In stock" cabinets 10 days to 2 weeks out?  So we are on that list for "in stock cabinets"

Counter tops are 4 to 6 weeks out after the measurements are taken.. Cabinets must be installed first.

If all goes well, we should have cabinets and counter tops in the kitchen and bathroom by the end of October?  Then we will have carpet and vinyl floors installed. Hopefully by january 2022

have you purchased house paint recently?  Prices are way up too.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Carps

Like most Australians I'm locked up in solitary confinement in my home and unable to leave unless it's to get food , medical supplies or exercise all within a 3 mile radius and time limited too.
My cars, model making and pin striping tools and equipment are over 100 miles away and I cannot travel there, because it's not my primary address.

Hope life is better in the US, this place has gone nuts as I think whilst covid effects normal people's respiratory system it has completely destroyed the minds of all our alleged leaders and politicians.

Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

wayne petty

just sitting and surfing the web mostly.. hanging out over on https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAdvice/ and searching for interesting content on youtube..

how many of you on your cell phones have noticed youtube shorts.  its a new link on the bottom menu.  and you flip up to the next video.

several projects in process..  helping a friend put a full floater 9" under the back of his 66 Fairlane 500 .   been discussing Holley tuning with the friend with the 427SOHC .. he has a set of proper carbs for it..  but was wondering..... he was told they have no power valves..  his are identical to these.. http://www.mustangtek.com/4160/C5AF-9510-BT-BU.html  the last set i set up for the 428FE dual quad galaxy used 1850-3's  with changing out the primary throttle shafts so they worked with the dual quad progressive linkage.   i was really happy with it.  but he decided to have the C6 rebuilt and the transmission shop swapped out his 1800 to 2200 stall converter for a stock one with much lower stall and they screwed with the progressive throttle linkage.. forcing it to open 1 to 1..  the cars is in storage currently.. so i can't really get to it to redo the carbs..   so now you know what i am up to..

chimp koose

I am off to the school shop tomorrow to hopefully finish all the necessary things to get a new chassis tag . I will also be driving out to another shop to help with starting up the blown alky big block in a drag truck that I will be working on next race season  8) 8)

kb426

I'm excited to see some changes in the new forum. One of which is larger picture limits. I'm sure there could be more changes as time goes on. ;D
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

In attempt to wind down down from busy days on the rehab project..  I've found a few more old TV shows on the SAT  TV system. Red Skelton and Carol Burnett shows.  Watch a couple shows here n there in the evenings.  It was a simpler time perhaps?  When these performers went off script (?) it could be purty funny.  8) 
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

roadster time again today . Cut out 2 tubes that were not to spec and fitted new ones . Then I went on to make roll cage gussets . They have been on Bonneville cars for years but are something new to me for the drag chassis. I just realized when done the gussets that they measure .001" less than the SFI spec  :o.