Braided split wire loom ; race car stuff?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, June 12, 2019, 09:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I have researching wire loom materials.  I do not want to use  the split plastic corrugated wire loom.

The braided split wire loom looks like something I may try.  You can have wires run out of the split at various - as needed locations.

Any body used this stuff or other suggestions?  Going into my  drag  race car project.... maybe a street car too.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Used it, liked it. At work. Can't recall brand name off the top of my head. :?
Matt

WZ JUNK

The type I like is the material that they use on the aftermarket fuel injection harnesses.  I recently bought some split loom off of Amazon that I like.  It overlaps and it will accomodate different amounts of wires by self adjusting to size somewhat.  It is also softer and easier on old arthritic hands.  The best stuff like this is sold by "Haywire" and I usually get some from them at shows.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Bruce Dorsi

Plastic spiral wire wrap?

It comes in various diameters and colors and allows branching wherever necessary.

It can adjust to changes in bundle thickness.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

idrivejunk

Waytek is the word I was searching for, that goes in all our builds. We have found it to be of a good quality and buy it by the boxes-

Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

I have looked at the braided split loom stuff  and the spiral plastic wrap loom..   Never used either one. yet.

I previously  have purchased product from Waytek and Del City supply houses. Both supplier's products  that I bought  were good quality.

In a few weeks or so:  I  may buy 10 - 20 feet of each design loom materials and see how it works in a car.

:T)
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Found some spiral type wire loom.  It is small diameter stuff. It was on a discount counter.  I bought it to check this stuff out since I have never used the spiral stuff.  

Still need to get some of the braided split loom stuff...  I see there   is a  install tool to help slide the wires into the loom.

In my stash of wire stuff..  I found some non split braided wire loom.  I must have not been impressed with it. Since it is not split , you must slide the wires into the open end and slide the loom over.  I dont remember using this braided loom... but to be honest , I dont remember last tuesday either.
Tony

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Crosley"Found some spiral type wire loom.  It is small diameter stuff. It was on a discount counter.  I bought it to check this stuff out since I have never used the spiral stuff.  

Still need to get some of the braided split loom stuff...  I see there   is a  install tool to help slide the wires into the loom.

In my stash of wire stuff..  I found some non split braided wire loom.  I must have not been impressed with it. Since it is not split , you must slide the wires into the open end and slide the loom over.  I dont remember using this braided loom... but to be honest , I dont remember last tuesday either.

I have used a razor blade to cut one side of the non split loom and made my own split loom.

I never bought one of those installation tools but I often wanted one.  Especially after my hands were cramped and cut.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

papastoyss

Quote from: "Crosley"I have researching wire loom materials.  I do not want to use  the split plastic corrugated wire loom.

The braided split wire loom looks like something I may try.  You can have wires run out of the split at various - as needed locations.

Any body used this stuff or other suggestions?  Going into my  drag  race car project.... maybe a street car too.
I used this stuff on the F.I. harness on my '57 Chevy project, it's fairly easy to work with, I used a heat gun or a lighter to keep the ends from fraying where a cut was made & wrapped the end w/a good quality electrical tape secured w/a small diameter black zip tie. The zip ties also help where a wire needs to exit the loom away from the end.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!