60 Biscayne

Started by idrivejunk, February 27, 2017, 10:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Presenting another at-work project, a 1960 Chevy. It showed up looking low, sounding mean, and in need of shine. Killer wheels not shown. It was welcomed by my co-workers with the customary wood wheel adornment. A good scrub and epoxy bath later, she came to my stall looking black naked. Thats the scene, lets see how this one turns out...

Matt

idrivejunk

So you see that yellow tape spot up by the door?

Theres a leaded repair here. Anybody's guess whats under that. Let me try a cold chisel, to show you. I hate torching sheetmetal, period.

OK OK heat gun and gloves with the same chisel. Slower than torch but no smoke and it was cold outside.

This is all it was. That crease goes farther back than what I'm about to tap out here though-

During. I used the dent puller where the qtr is boxed by the inner B post.

Here we go. Maybe more pecking later. Parts showed up so I rattle canned some etch over this-

Matt

idrivejunk

I saw the pile of parts and privately urged myself to ask for a vacation. The trunk gutters weren't available for this body but we got some for another just in case, for patches. Returnable if need be, the supplier is nearby.

Onward. Heres some nitty gritty for ya-

Not so bad but lets keep going-

Mmm-hmmm all that and a bag o' chips. Did some straightening here on the quarter and along the tail light panel. Wasn't feeling too well yet. Been kinda puny.

Matt

idrivejunk

You may have noticed on the lower quarter patchwork and near the gas fill, that someone has used rivets to install some new metal. Same with the floor pans. I chopped out the right rear and had a look at what was there-

Did you like my pincushion pigeon poop weld there on the bottom? You guys always say I make it look easy and so nice but I gotta tell ya this was neither! But I did grind all that into submission and its not too shabby. Needs touch-up in a spot after the grind, and I'lll use an assistant to hammer and dolly the rest out. It ain't as bad as it looks and its just a floor, not a real pretty new piece. I did do what I could to even out the seam before and while while tacking the first couple rounds of dots but the gap left something to be desired. As you can see, the factory made "corners" are patched with narrow strips on the outside pair. I had to leave off here and the camera didn't want to work under the car again so... until next time, you are caught up!  8)
Matt

kb426

I glanced at this after lunch and thought I might go to the vomitorium. :) I had a thought that leads to this question. Is there any reason to think that a good repair will last any longer than the original metal? I remember seeing an ad for the new 40 Ford body and they stated that even though you repaired the old metal, the metal next to it is the same age and rusting as we speak. So does anybody have an estimate on the life of a repaired car if it's used and properly maintained?
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I hate to admit this but when we were kids  my cousin had a 60 impala 2door bubble top . White with a 283 4speed that we used as a " field car " as he bought the ugly old thing for the 4 speed for his 70 Camaro . We thought it best to drive the H out of it until it blew up before taking the trans out . Only rule for a field car was , don't hit a cow .I think we made Bo and Luke Duke look like the tame cousins ! Man we were smart back then ! :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"I glanced at this after lunch and thought I might go to the vomitorium. :) I had a thought that leads to this question. Is there any reason to think that a good repair will last any longer than the original metal? I remember seeing an ad for the new 40 Ford body and they stated that even though you repaired the old metal, the metal next to it is the same age and rusting as we speak.
QuoteSo does anybody have an estimate on the life of a repaired car if it's used and properly maintained?

Gee KB .. i was going to tell you to look at any late model Chevy Truck ..... :?   But then I remembered ...You guys don't have those issues like we do.....  A lot of the guys up here will install patch panels / cab corners / etc ....Epoxy prime & the paint the lower 10" of the truck with bedliner ....It seems to last longer than "Gravel Guard" paint you normally put on rockers & such ... It usually buys you an extra year or 2 ....
:shock:  :roll:

Bob...  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"I glanced at this after lunch and thought I might go to the vomitorium. :) I had a thought that leads to this question. Is there any reason to think that a good repair will last any longer than the original metal? I remember seeing an ad for the new 40 Ford body and they stated that even though you repaired the old metal, the metal next to it is the same age and rusting as we speak. So does anybody have an estimate on the life of a repaired car if it's used and properly maintained?

I detect regurgitory overtones  :lol:  Meet me down at the Vom-A-Rama and we'll have a go at some targets  :idea:  :wink: Eat up!:D

My thought on longevity is that during their first life, few of these rides saw indoor parking. After a loving restoration, few will be parked outdoors ever again. Stuff we have fixed and painted rarely gets wet, generally speaking. Thus far, my preaching about Rust Fighter has fallen on deaf ears for the most part. That being said...

Automotive refinish paint is designed for a 5-7 year lifespan. We all know it can go way beyond that just like yours and my bodywork does.

In my observations, rust slows to a creep in a dry garage even on a daily driver. Parking over grass with no cover wildly accelerates rot.

These builds I post about ought to look the same for ten years and beyond, used sensibly and garaged. But how long until they have stuff popping up, that was skipped on purpose or missed? Cm'on, man... it depends on how bad the car was. Honestly I think if you get five years of whatever usage you desire out of it, the products have done their duties.

Some of the fixed up cars will probably still be very nice when the sale of new fossil fueled vehicles is banned. Picture astronomical gas prices by the time I'm too old to work. The guy who turns out real world driveable rod body friendly electric (or whatever) powertrain swaps will win, and that could perpetuate the pursuit of cool old cars long enough to find out how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie roll center without a beak. :idea:
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"I hate to admit this but when we were kids  my cousin had a 60 impala 2door bubble top . White with a 283 4speed that we used as a " field car " as he bought the ugly old thing for the 4 speed for his 70 Camaro . We thought it best to drive the H out of it until it blew up before taking the trans out . Only rule for a field car was , don't hit a cow .I think we made Bo and Luke Duke look like the tame cousins ! Man we were smart back then ! :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

We are all with you, man  8)  Tell me you've seen this-

Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
Quote from: "kb426"I glanced at this after lunch and thought I might go to the vomitorium. :) I had a thought that leads to this question. Is there any reason to think that a good repair will last any longer than the original metal? I remember seeing an ad for the new 40 Ford body and they stated that even though you repaired the old metal, the metal next to it is the same age and rusting as we speak.
QuoteSo does anybody have an estimate on the life of a repaired car if it's used and properly maintained?

Gee KB .. i was going to tell you to look at any late model Chevy Truck ..... :?   But then I remembered ...You guys don't have those issues like we do.....  A lot of the guys up here will install patch panels / cab corners / etc ....Epoxy prime & the paint the lower 10" of the truck with bedliner ....It seems to last longer than "Gravel Guard" paint you normally put on rockers & such ... It usually buys you an extra year or 2 ....
:shock:  :roll:

Bob...  :wink:

The rust you guys encounter just a few hundred miles north blows my mind. Jabbing a pencil through ten year old cars just ain't something I could live around.  :shock:
Matt

idrivejunk

Spent a grand total of one hour on the Biz this week  :roll:  but the bolt on parts are back from blasting so shall we? Lets. I see more adventure than a Jonny Quest episode coming. :arrow: For the record, next time I used the welder after that floor mess, I discovered that the knobs had been bumped and the heat and wire were both wrong a little. I'll try to do better on the next piece since I feel better now. Rust barfs can be rough on an old bodyman. :oops:  :lol:   :idea:  :arrow:  

Your turn, KB. Glug and pass it for dent barfys. :D  Last man to go gets that last piece of pie in the fridge. :shock:

Matt

kb426

Matt, I'll take dents over rust most always. As long as I have clean metal, I'm happy. ( for a crazy, anyway) :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Fortunately thats a clean dent, and the dent pulling rig is healthy. Its the difference between "You're kidding, right? " and "Well maybe..." on a panel such as that door... without it I would not be very confident about dealing with such a monster dent.

Also luckily, it isn't perforated with pull rod holes. But theres some serious stretch there. :shock: Wonder how thick the goo is inside the door skin. Reckon I'll find out.

Unfortunate (to this crazy) is that I'm realizing poor ol Bryan (broke leg, bodyman, out since October) probably just won't be back. I reckon sometimes reality soaks in slow. He and I both have tried to keep thinking he'll be back, and perhaps that has helped us both get through the past few months with less crazy. I still tend to want to believe, but oh man that foot / ankle was wiped out. How can I get time off between these big jobs? The world may never know but it makes for extra wear and tear on an IDJ, going straight through back to back. That I do know!  :)  The Biscayne project is going to require gumption.
Matt

kb426

The 59 through mid 60's are very large cars. I suppose that means large problems. :) The only observation I can offer is that from the work I see, your shop is very well respected. To be part of that is surely an accomplishment. :)  Most all of us understand being a man short on the team. :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Hey Matt ..  This may sound crazy , (Do you expect any less from me :?: ),  but could the injured man come back & do "light duty" things during re-hab  :?:  He still has all the knowledge that he did before, he just can't walk as much ...Since my "vertically challenged" issues started up , I can still do most of what I did before .... :?  It just takes longer , I need to sit for most any operation, I wobble a LOT & people say that I'm LOTS more fun to watch.. :roll:  :oops:  :?  :shock:  :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****