2020 .. What are you doing today?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2020, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Started the fiberglass work on my trailer air dam. I added weight to the wood with what ever was close.  :shock:

Layer of cloth under the wood.. that also runs up the side of the dam about 4 inches. Cloth on top of the wood will happen in a few days.

Then the left side repair.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"I'm going through some old papers. This invoice is from 1929. My grandfather bought a new model a.

My dad got his first new car in 1965. My grandfathers never had a new car.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

I started assembling the Jaguar front suspension today.  The spindle fits into a taper on the upright and the powder coater sandblasted the taper in the upright. :x  So I applied some compound and refitted the spindles. when I was done if you push it in by hand, you have to tap it loose to get it out.

Then I had to make a rig to push the rubber bushings into the control arms. A bolt, some spacers, and a guide tube got them in. After making up the rig, it took about an hour to do all eight bushings.

lofat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "kb426"I'm going through some old papers. This invoice is from 1929. My grandfather bought a new model a.

My dad got his first new car in 1965. My grandfathers never had a new car.

My Dad's first car that he bought in '56 was a used '53 Chevy 210 2-door.  His first new one was a '59 Biscayne 2-door then a new '64 BelAir. He didn't have his first V8 and automatic until he bought a new '68 BelAir 2-door with a 307 w/Powerglide.

idrivejunk

That is cool and minty.  8)  Refreshing!   :T)
Matt

WZ JUNK

I made a bolt on fixture to attach to the 8.8 Ford Explorer rear axle out of various scrap metal.  All the attachment points are loose fit so that it will adjust to the axle when it is attached and made so that the axle is not under stress from the jig.  I took the whole assembly to a local racer car fabricating shop and he tig welded the axle tubes to the center section.  These rear axles are plug welded at the factory and they have a tendency to slip and rotate the tubes in the housing under heavy load.  The idea of the fixture was to be able to hold the axle in place and prevent the movement of the parts due to the heat from the welding process.  The tig welding introduces less heat and warping also.  When I dissassembled the fixture, I did not detect any misalignment of the housing.  The idea was to weld the tubes without taking the rear axle apart.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

phat46

Just messing around today, no reference, just an old car guy's imagination.

kb426

TEAM SMART

kb426

I ordered a DRO for my lathe. The same ebay company had them $4 cheaper than the unit I put on the mill last year. It arrived today and appears undamaged. I powered up the head unit and it looks normal. :) The next time it warms up, I will install it. That makes blind old guys able to measure accurately. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

I installed the DRO on the lathe this afternoon. I may do some more work on the cross slide scale. There wasn't enough space to mount it as I had imagined. There is a real narrow scale available that I have seen pics of. I don't know where to get one at this point. Every design has some drawbacks. I have seen people level the scale with a dial indicator. I may do that on the carriage scale. This is going to make it way easier to achieve a higher level of accuracy. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

I just saw the 68 Bullitt mustang brought 3.7 million. Wow.  :shock:
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Yesterday I drove up to Flint Mi and picked up a wreck I bought. When I got home I checked all the trailer tires because I need to haul another car tomorrow. This morning I went out to unload the wreck, and one of the tires on the trailer blew out a sidewall overnight. :shock: It was raining...., hard...., all day long...., and the spare was flat too. So we got the wreck unloaded, and I got a new tire mounted, and I got extremely wet....twice. :cry:

Crosley.In.AZ

Saturday was the yard work day... trim a few bushes down that had grown too large.  Next;  8.3 million tree leaves in the front yard.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Carps

Amazingly the smoke cleared on Christmas ever so we started the year watching fireworks across the city and suburbs from my front verandah, was all quite spectacular.

But then, there was some whistling from aone street away and we looked around the end of the street to see a fireworks show almost as big as what most municipalities  had put on>

I couldn't believe what I was being as we live a hundred feet away from millions of acres of national park when half the country is on fire!  Well not quite that mush but an area about the size of California has already been burned out.  Like really how could people living in this area be so stupid?  And then there's the fact that it's illegal for unlicensed people to purchase fireworks here and also illegal for people to let them off at home or in an uncontrolled environment.  Fortunately as a result of everybody being on edge in respect to fires, the cops were quick to arrive and deal with it.

On New years Day my club The Confederates hosted our 31st Annual New years day Picnic In The Park by the beachfront at Mornington.

Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Carps

The next day, January 1st I took my houseguests to play on my model train layout.

After they departed my place I returned to being a retired old bugger where there's six Saturdays and one Sunday in every week and I do what I like whenever the urge strikes me to do it.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.