56 Ford truck wiper motor wiring

Started by WZ JUNK, February 24, 2005, 03:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I am trying to understand the wiring on a 56 Ford truck wiper motor.  I can not understand how the park feature works on this motor.  Whatever it is, it is different than others I have worked on.  I can get the high and low to work but not the park.  There is an internal switch but it does not make much sense.  Does anyone have any experiences with these motors?
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

1FATGMC

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I am trying to understand the wiring on a 56 Ford truck wiper motor.  I can not understand how the park feature works on this motor.  Whatever it is, it is different than others I have worked on.  I can get the high and low to work but not the park.  There is an internal switch but it does not make much sense.  Does anyone have any experiences with these motors?

Probably not much help, but I put a 60's ford wiper motor in the gmc.  I'm using a 2 position toggle switch with center off.  Up is high and down is low speed.  I wanted to keep the wiring simple and couldn't get the park feature to work with the one switch.  

If I remember right you need a fancier switch like the factory one.  Seems like when you turned the wipers off they still got power through another circuit to the wiper mechanism until it got to the park postion and then the aux. power went off and they stopped.

Hope that helps a little.

c ya, Sum

enjenjo

Sumner has it. there should be three wires to the motor from the switch, and the power will run to the switch on a 4th wire. I'll see if I can find a diagram.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Thanks Frank.  That looks like what I have.  I printed the diagram and I will try it in the morning.  I am too tired to mess with wiring now.  Some times I get to distracted by trying to figure out why something works when I should just be glad that it does and leave it alone.  I will wire it up like the diagram shows and if it works, I will forget about the why it works.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH