Some days you get lucky

Started by phat46, November 24, 2013, 06:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

After driving over 500 miles home from deer camp Saturday in Michigans U.P. I stopped at a traffic light less than a half mile from my friends house that was riding home with me. The check gauges alert sounded in my truck and the gauge showed a no charging problem. I figured the alternator had died so since I was only a couple miles from home I dropped my friend off and continued home. I twas a long drive home much of it in blowing snow, some in whiteout conditions and i was tired, so after unpacking I decided to wait till morning to look at the truck. I was very surprised by what I found, the serpentine belt had shredded and most of it was wrapped around the fan spacer. There was a quarter inch piece still on the pulleys and the tensioner bearing was seized. the tensioner bearing was still there but the pulley was gone! The remaining piece of belt was riding on the back of the tensioner bracket. I couldn't believe how lucky we had been, if the belt had broke during one of whiteouts on U.S. 2 in the U.P. it would have been a long day to say the least. I guess it has been my week for good luck though, i managed to get two nice bucks this year including a nice eight point. Maybe i should get a lottery ticket. I have included a picture of what was left of the belt, you can see by the truck what kind of weather we had driven through.

phat rat

Congratulations on the bucks. You sure were lucky on the belt
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

wayne petty

nice buck..

what was that that jimmy kimmle said during the man show skit. with the robotic buck tied to the hood of the car..    oh yea... once you go buck.. you never go back... :0

hint... automotive stethoscopes can listen to noisy bearings long before they fail...
http://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-41966.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-69913.html

parklane

Good shooting Joe. What are you using - rifle, black powder, crossbow??
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

phat46

Thanks guys. John it was a rifle, .35 cal. Marlin, 200 gr.  really a gimme shot, 65 yds in the brisket.

oj

I shredded a belt the same way once, tensioner pulley seized.  You were very lucky.
Nice deer.  I get up to fish the Manistee and always wanted to head to the UP just to see it.  That is a great place up there.  I remember one year an import got blown off the Makinac bridge and the coast guard went to look for it in gale conditions 10' seas and sideays snow, ice etcetc.  It takes special people to do that, i'll respect them forever.

phat rat

Quote from: "oj"I remember one year an import got blown off the Makinac bridge

That was a Yugo. Also the only time anybody has gone off the bridge, although there was a close one this fall. A  semi was leaning on the rail but didn't go over
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

348tripower

I just saw a 6 point in the back yard. Pretty deer. I am not a hunter.
I am putting a water pump in a trailblazer with a 4200 engine. The pump was about to fall of the block :shock:  Four bolts left in it out of five. Two snug, two loose to the point that the pump was away from the block 3/8 inch. One bolt broke off.  The only reason the two were snug is because the pump was cocked. Half the belt is gone too. :lol:  And they just keep driving them :?
Don Colliau