2023: What are you doing today?

Started by 58 Yeoman, January 01, 2023, 10:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

I have been experimenting with metalflake from the craft stores . I dont know if you have Michaels in the US but they have a huge selection of flake in a big range of colours and effects . A small container from our dollar store will almost do a fuel tank for $1.50 . I have been watching guys do dry flake on U tube . Spray clear , then apply dry flake , then clear and repeat until you get coverage .  8) My new phone will load pictures to my computer a bit easier but I have to pay attention to where it puts them . I sometimes cant find them to post . I will try to do better .  :lol:

idrivejunk

Is it holographic black flake you are looking at? Looked to me like thats what its commonly called now. The multicolor sparkle kind, not just black flake. Looks like crushed CDs? We did have a Michael's, not sure anymore. Hobby Lobby took to building stores right next to them.

In desperation, knowing that more months of only all day each day all only sanding is all thats available to me as work, my cornered animal instinct (from bad hands pain, swollen wrists) drove me to lash out against myself. As a last resort looking for any advantage...

I picked up the long-assumed-stupid vaccuum assisted long hand block. Oh, the cumbersome hose. The constant noise. The fundamental wrongness of expecting a velcro faced block to perform the function of a sanding block....

but oh. The new hood that took four or five days to mud blocked out in 2 hours, looks perfect. The two day new door blocked out in an hour and the three day in two. All feels reasonably straight. Vacuum assist makes the sandpaper virtually immortal.

So- either this sanding setup is miraculous and makes poly primer blocking faster by orders of magnitude. Or- the block is lying and nothing is straight. Or- the fill work was of adequate quality.

One of those facts, combined with an adequate and adequately smooth application of primer, just made things go as intended. It was like blocking new GM parts. Done stuff flying out of my stall. But Nomad yet to go and hurry.

Theres that. To it, I'll add that I spied something on the hokey board that hit my spot. While I have always liked the 39 and 40 Fords, alas they are cliche. I like underdogs and unless I like the looks of something, I hardly can like it at all. No make / model has truly floated my boat enough to want one but when I try to noodle out a dream DD I always end up at about a late 30s coupe as making the most sense to me...

Welp, found it. Make mine a 37-38 Buick. Those look killer, stock! Of course I then thought about using a blown 3.8 in a 38 and calling it a 3.8 Special. :shock:
Matt

chimp koose

those late 30s chev coupes are larger inside than the model A for sure . I had 2 buddies in high school . one with a 39 chev the other with a 37 chev . both coupes . Not a raving fan of the 39 styling but anywhere from 36 to 38 fill the bill . 37 is everyones favorite but I favour the 36 . I believe that is about when they lost the wood body support but I could be wrong . I had a 36 sedan when I was 13-14 but it got pushed into the rock pile when the farmyard got a big cleanup . ( I think mom wanted her boy to stop daydreaming and concentrate on school ) :( She didnt know about the T tub that I stashed away!!

idrivejunk

Yeah my flake question was too stupid anyway. I can't answer why the word holographic has been added to flake. If using craft store glitter I would want to do some tests. The Buick has the coolest grille.
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

Quik note: Dennys now requires you to fill out an online question page , then print a coupon to receive a phree breakfast on yur birthday.  Waitress eggsplained that to me. I said no thanks, I am tired of excessive email and online invasion of my privacy.

Which brings up another item:  my wifes CCard info was stolen again. Used in Nashville TN area 3 times.  Odd how we were in TN for a couple weeks last year on our travels?   YMMV

:o   ???   :twisted:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Thats some super-obvious tailgating ^^^. I won't stand for it here either. You win.
Matt

sirstude

Getting ready to drive down to Pomona for the Grand National Roadster Show.  Taking a first timer with me.  Should be a good time.  Leaving Thursday morning long before dawn.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

chimp koose

got the OK on a tank shape so should be starting to make the fuel tank later this week .

Crosley.In.AZ

well, hope the fun stuff  is over. We had to cancel the compromised bank  account and open new.  Bank said the criminals were still trying to use the olde account , even with it locked down for a few daze, so a new account was necessary .

Of course this requires changes to bills  that we pay thru the old account like internet service , utilities.  Retirement direct deposits have been corrected to new account (we hope)..  :o  :o

My "P O'd  " level has reduced some... till the next hiccup.  8)
Tony

idrivejunk

This. Is a better following distance.  :P

Third day of no work only ice. There will be hell to pay and stir crazy is setting in. More ice on the way. I was and am prepared for this and needed it desperately but am out of fresh reading and watching and haven't felt like art in awhile. Crossword puzzles and electric blanket. No metal work  :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

I bombed at crossword puzzles. Back to work. Boss reluctantly agreed to let me do a rust fix at a body mount because now they want to do a second mock up and had forgotten the rotted cab mount. It would have made sense to block it with panels on but that opportunity was bypassed on purpose in an earlier plan. Theres a dash filler to go in it also but I am told not to mess with that. Currently blocking bedsides and fenders with them bolted together. So... once it is all in final primer... then I get a couple hours of standing on head metal work. Thats a monsterous heap of weeks of sanding just to get to one piddly metal hour.

On the bright side, if observations are any indication, I will not have to do final sanding on every job. Either way this is one hell of an unjust demotion and that doesn't make a crap to a soul. The final primed truck stuff looks nice at least. So very looking forward to that body mount thing, haha. Not sure I even want to do metal work anymore if its gonna be like that. Again, only I can lose. But I'm good at that. :)
Matt

chimp koose

started bending up the fuel tank tonight . It is going reasonably well .

Crosley.In.AZ

Blackstone Laboratories basic oil analysis is now $35.00 . Up from $30.00..  Not too bad a price with the free sample kit they send you to gather the oil and the return container - mailer is postage paid.  I have used the test on the engine oil of my F-350 truck diesel engine
Tony

kb426

I had a little road trip today. Little over 500 miles. I returned with a real ugly 97 Explorer 5.0 engine. It's supposed to be good. As good as it can be at 174,000 miles. LOL.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I found out today that my Granddaughter won the state championship for her age group for the third time out of four tries in indoor archery. I don't mess with her any more :shock:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.