tear drop trailers

Started by kb426, August 28, 2017, 07:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Do any of you have exp. with using a tear drop camper? I'd like to know if this is much of an option for rod runs versus the motel situation.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"Do any of you have exp. with using a tear drop camper? I'd like to know if this is much of an option for rod runs versus the motel situation.

My brother built his own from scratch.  We have used it for camping but I do not recall that he has taken it to a car show for lodging.  It is very nice.  I will try to find a photo of it.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

WZ JUNK

Found a photo.  It is primarily for sleeping.  It has been updated including some really neat fenders since this photo.  I have some more pictures if you would like specific information.  If you want to know more about the build I will have  him logon and explain more.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

GPster

If you go to Sumner's Purple Sage site and go to his home page he has a section about his tear drop. I believe he's used it on a lot of his travels and on the "Wide Spot" at Bonneville. The only story of his I know of though is that Walmart parking lots expect you to spend money there if you camp on their lot. GPster

phat46

The friend I am going to K Zoo with has a homemade tear drop. He has towed it literally all over the U.S. and Canada, since he's Canadian. His is mostly wood, and he tows it with a V-6 powered Model A roadster pickup. It is a very nice setup, and he has perfected it over the years, he is fully self contained and comfortable.

t-vicky

I built mine because I was tired of paying  $75.00 - $100.00 for motels.  A campground was about $10.00 - 20.00 per night.  It has a queen size bed, & a full kitchen in the back.  It weighed about 1500 lbs. & my small block cars towed it fine.
The only drawback was no bathroom.  When your old like me its a long walk to the restroom two or three times a night.  I got too old  to go on rod runs so I sold it.

Carnut

One of Rogers (t-vicky) Teardrops he's built a couple

Heh, heh, here's Roger towing a Teardrop way back in 1972 to the ASRA Nats in KC.

Carnut

WZ JUNK

Sumner still has his trailer but he has not used it recently.  He often stayed in the trailer when we were at Bonneville.  His has many well throughout features but the thing that impressed me most was the high/low change.  He used a system of cables, pulleys, and a crank to raise it to the high position so that you can stand up in the trailer when it is parked but then lower it for towing.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

kb426

^^^^^
Project creep one more time. :)
TEAM SMART

Charlie Chops 1940

I had one for awhile. Towed with the '40 convert. It was handy but it tended to keep the days heat in it and then my added body heat at night made it hard to sleep. I never got around to adding a roof vent which probably would have helped.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!