51 Ford

Started by idrivejunk, May 01, 2018, 01:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

The nice couple who just picked up her 60 Biscayne dropped off his truck for another cool build-

Matt

kb426

TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Looks pretty solid for a 51. I had a 52 years ago with a Buick engine.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

It does look to be a decent specimen and there are a few more pics. Don't know which of us shack hacks will do the work but it does look familiar, don't it?
Matt

WZ JUNK

I am interested in the 5 window AD in the background.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I am interested in the 5 window AD in the background.

John

PM sent.
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Digging up this two and a half year old post because well... I can. Theres another thread that started out as standard IDJ overdone build coverage but I had to de-prioritize doing that and it tapered off about 3 pages in. See that here:

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14612&highlight=

Much water has passed under the bridge since posting this thread. Her Biscayne got a nice feature in Street Rodder. Lately I have been turning up my computer rendering ability and a mental image of the 51 Ford F-1 done is emerging.  8)

Posted some of my art on the daily thread recently but that one clogs like 40 grit on Kondar so I thought it might be a hoot to share this here. Did it last night, to show a rather evolved treatment in the roll pan area. I really want this thing to hit the street because it is, as promised, another cool build. So I put it there and in good company. :D

If you want to see more, theres more but pic posting has changed for me. Coax and prod are your hint words here... :wink:
Matt

chimp koose

enjenjo

I like everything. But I think it would look even better with some kind of detail in the center of the tailgate spear. It would tend to bring the bottom and top together. In my mind I am seeing a chrome circle about 5" diameter, and about 1/4" wide. It could even be cut into the spear with F1.50 in the center.

I can make the ring if he likes the idea.

jaybee

Thanks for keeping the cool stuff coming!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

chimp koose

Yes thanks for posting all the progress pictures .

idrivejunk

Thanks, guys. The metal work and pic editing are old hat but design work and rendering from scratch is a fresh thrill. Almost ten years now at this job.

Frank I had an emblem there and they liked it. Messed it up on one version and just haven't put it back. But nobody seems to miss it, spear seems to be the only important element and that was an owner's idea. Doesn't make sense to me and thats the wierd thing... working with elements I may or may not think are yucky or wicked.

I'd bet I have created a couple hundred images at least. This was and is my own most-tricked-out version before finding out modding gate metal was out-

And heres a link to the blog that was ended by a site update that made it where I can't log in anymore.

http://chevroldsmobuiac.blogspot.com/2020/09/51-f-1-50-art.html?m=1

So that blog will just rot but some earlier images are there. Just tried linking images uploaded here but didn't work and I need to go work.

So this post is done and off I go, to continue shaving valance top and hoping to get started shaving new hood sides today. But its Friday, those are short.

But I wanted to haul pics shown on the daily thread over here. Didn't work first shot.

Frank can you make the revised hood nose molding shown there? I fired up the PC briefly to try out your suggestion which sounds a little like a Nissan emblem eh. Anyway didn't get that far... I put a bend in the spear and that catapulted my idea engine into orbit so I ended up with a couple killer new ideas but nothing that I came for. So that is saved.

I had hoped lots of ideas would help the guy pick so I can build but that seems to work the other way. Almost got bit following the Pfaff rendering on the valance like that, as a much larger intercooler slot was shown. Being unsure if its OK to cut yet on things sucks but solid answers are elusive. I am glad theres a boss middleman but get along with the truck owner just fine and we have been bouncing ideas freely for months now.
Matt

enjenjo

Matt, I will see what I can do, but right now I am as busy as a centipede changing shoes so it may take a few days.

idrivejunk

Sounds like an arm wrestling match with an octopus. :shock:

Or a one-legged man at a butt kicking contest. :lol:

Don't spend any time on it. My inquiry is more along the line of how does a guy go about it? Its die cast, and the new part must be bright like chrome. The way I got that piece past my own reality filter was to explain it to boss in the context of using the center FORD section and lower portion only, having chopped the top chrome parts off and overlapping stainless or chromed revised pieces with feet tightly against the center part.

Boss and F1 man also both mentioned cleaning up the look by merging part of the latch panel with the hood. So I set out to present that in the best way I could figure to do it. After presenting that, the bigger opening got a nod but the hood merge thing may be beyond the limits of even "price is no object" so... the extended hood nose and nostril enlargement could still work but the feet would be separate pieces or not used.

But I am curious by what means you would make one. I have been assured that "there are places that'll make anything" but wonder... really? In chrome? With ford on it? I understand 3D printers are out there, I understand die casting and molded plastic are out there but figured I would wait and see and meanwhile render whatever fanciful item I can dream up.
Matt