Henry's land speed record

Started by purplepickup, January 12, 2007, 02:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

103 years ago today on Jan 12, 1904, Henry Ford drove this car 91.369 mph across the ice on Lake St Clair to set the world land speed record.  A french guy took the record away from him later that year with a 103 mph run.  I guess there's been racers and gearheads around for a long time.

I'll bet that steering wheel would be a handful in a spinout. :shock:

I thought it was an interesting bit of trivia.
George

sirstude

I believe that was the only time Henry drove a racecar, Barney drove it after that.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

purplepickup

Quote from: "sirstude"I believe that was the only time Henry drove a racecar, Barney drove it after that.

Doug
Yup, he said that bouncing around on that lake at that speed scared him so bad he didn't want to ever get in another race car.
George

enjenjo

19 years later my Dad was born. His birthday is today. I got him a card that said " I was going to get you a funny card, but at your age, you might pee your pants".
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

boy your dad is young. mine was born in 09 and my mother in 18
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

My mom was born in 1917...... died in 1975 . Her big sister born in 1915 is still alive.  She is not sure what year it is, but she is healthy other wise

I guess George did not take  the photo of the race car himself when Henry ran the car?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

I like the simplicity of that car. I'd build one like it (in looks) but I'd guess it would be kind of hard to find a 1904 Ford title. I guess I'll keep Sumner's uncle's race car as a model. I missed going to the Indianapolis Speedway Museum when I went to Goodguys last year but some of the mid-thirtys factory sponsored cars may be an option along those lines. Probably be easier to find a title for a 1934 Studebaker. Then when you got pulled over you could show a picture of the museum car as evidence. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "GPster"I like the simplicity of that car. I'd build one like it (in looks) but I'd guess it would be kind of hard to find a 1904 Ford title. I guess I'll keep Sumner's uncle's race car as a model. I missed going to the Indianapolis Speedway Museum when I went to Goodguys last year but some of the mid-thirtys factory sponsored cars may be an option along those lines. Probably be easier to find a title for a 1934 Studebaker. Then when you got pulled over you could show a picture of the museum car as evidence. GPster

Why would you need a title for a vehicle that would not be used on the street?

:?:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"Why would you need a title for a vehicle that would not be used on the street?:?:
That would be the purpose of it. Some motorcycle riders like choppers too. GPster

KustomLincolnLady

Quote from: "enjenjo"19 years later my Dad was born. His birthday is today. I got him a card that said " I was going to get you a funny card, but at your age, you might pee your pants".

OMG!! you are so bad!!! that was really funny.

Great piece of hot rod history George, thanks!!