Why did they use wood in pickup boxes?

Started by purplepickup, June 26, 2006, 10:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I know it seems like a stupid question but my grandson asked me why trucks had wood in the box instead of metal and I found that I wasn't really sure.  It's one of those things I'd never thought much about.  I assume they used wood because it could be replaced easily if it got all banged up but there's probably more to it than that. :?
George

phat rat

easier to replace than rusted out metal?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

alchevy

I don't know why. My '81 Chevy Stepside had wood in the bed. It rotted and so when the truck was repainted in 1992, I had the guy that was painting it swap the wood out for a piece of steel I bought.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

kroozn

I don't know all the reasons pick ups used wood in the beds. But I do know of one.
Farmers used to hauled livestock with side boards or a stock rack in the stake holes. Animals hooves don't slip around on wood floors as much.
Carl

Scrap Fe

rumrumm

It probably has something to do with, "Because we've always done it that way." And before car manufacturers knew about anti-rust materials, steel would rust out  and wood was replaceable.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

GPster

I wouldn't be suprised if had someting to do with the size of the stamping and the gauge of metal that would be involves. GPster

kroozn

When I was in Idaho I worked on an early '80's long box, stepside Silverado that had a wood floor in the box. The rancher special ordered it to haul his horse around. Takes a well trained horse to get in a pick up even when you back into a ditch!

Leon

Does that mean the trucks with wood floors in the cab were meant for occasional use by the cattle?  LOL

tomslik

Quote from: "Leon"Does that mean the trucks with wood floors in the cab were meant for occasional use by the cattle?  LOL

well, only in wyoming and it was for sheep..
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

kroozn

When I was younger I had a few heifers in truck cabs with me ... a few cows in later years ... all two legged tho.
My trucks were all metal floors so I can't give you a traction comparison verses wood floors.

av8

Quote from: "Scrap Fe"Carl has the correct answer.

Yes he does! GM refers to them as a "cattle floor" option.

Another bit of pickup trivia: I had an El Camino brochure years ago that listed a "grain-tight tailgate" as one of its features.  :lol:

Mike

kroozn

Hi Mike ... did you get your wood from Vern yet? I hope it works for you.

av8

Quote from: "kroozn"Hi Mike ... did you get your wood from Vern yet? I hope it works for you.

Yes I did! Thanks.

Mike

kroozn

You are more than welcome ... now you can have your own wood bed floor and give us traction reports ;-)