Stop me if you've heard this one

Started by jaybee, June 13, 2020, 04:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

This one was new to me, has anyone tried it? Poly bushings are famous for squeaks. This claims you can keep the squeak away on a long term basis with a wrap of teflon tape before applying silicone grease.
&feature=youtu.be
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

58 Yeoman

STOP!  Just kidding. I've never used poly bushings. I figure that the originals last a long time, and when I replace them, I want the next guy to have fun replacing them...just like I did.  :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Did you know that Poly bushings when subjected to high frequency vibrations can actually melt? When rubber bushings in the same application won't?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Quote from: "enjenjo"Did you know that Poly bushings when subjected to high frequency vibrations can actually melt? When rubber bushings in the same application won't?

Huh...that's interesting, but it makes sense. While they make poly bushings for virtually every application, some of them aren't appropriate. One of those is strut rod bushings on cars which use that style of triangulation for their lower control arms. It seems like a good application because fore and aft movement of the strut rod causes unwelcome caster change, but that's not the problem. They don't have enough flex to prevent bending of the strut rods. The result is binding, but also dangerous fatigue breaks of the strut rods.

chimp koose

JEEZ! four posts in and I have learned 3 new things today! Gotta love RRT!

idrivejunk

If power steering fluid leaks onto a plastic control arm bushing its toast. More like jelly. Softens, splits, falls out. Sooner than rubber.

My GP has sounded like a haunted house this entire century because poly all around. There is something to be said for rubber bushings and steel wheels on the real road!

Obviously, I have not tried it. Probably can't hurt anything.
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"Did you know that Poly bushings when subjected to high frequency vibrations can actually melt? When rubber bushings in the same application won't?

Been studying megalithic construction techniques? :idea:
Matt

jaybee

Quote from: "idrivejunk"My GP has sounded like a haunted house this entire century because poly all around.

Which is considerably more amusing to read than it is to own and drive, there's no doubt about it.