For the 60's Ford guys

Started by 58 Yeoman, July 04, 2013, 06:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

The mufflers on the '63 Galaxie I bought in May sound like crap.  They are very short round mufflers, and I'm betting that they are straight through; sounds like a truck w/o a muffler.

I'm looking for a nice mellow sound in the original rear mounting spot; I want to do this only once.  Any ideas?  I thought Smithy's might sound good, but I watched a youtube vid with a '55 Chevy 6 w/split manifold and duals, and it sounded like my car.

The exhaust is basically stock 2-2 1/2" with H pipe.

Thanks.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

bowtietillidie

When you install your muffler the farther away from the engine the more mellow the sound .  Closer gives you more of a rapping sound .  To prove this Take a piece of tubing about two feet long and blow in just like you would when playing a Trumpet.  Then do the exact same thing to a much longer piece of tubing. Also small diameter tubing will give a much high note than a larger diameter tube
BOWTIETILLIDIE

kb426

As I remember, the duals are mounted behind the axle on all the performance versions. I fought trying to have good sound forever with those cars. I had stock cammed engines and almost no sound out the back. I tried several different glass packs and they were all pretty quiet. Non-descript comes to mind. If you have a aftermarket cam, that would change substantially. I wish I could tell you something that was good but my results with the stock 390's was poor.
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

http://mastercatalog.walkerexhaust.com/images/catalog/coupons/10888_resized.gif

this is just an FYI.... as only the mufflers are still available from walker..

there are exhaust kits header flange back for some models listed over in the summit site starting at about a 150 bucks with mufflers in 2 1/4"

there are still dozens of universal mufflers in various sizes..

Arnold

Quote from: "kb426"As I remember, the duals are mounted behind the axle on all the performance versions. I fought trying to have good sound forever with those cars. I had stock cammed engines and almost no sound out the back. I tried several different glass packs and they were all pretty quiet. Non-descript comes to mind. If you have a aftermarket cam, that would change substantially. I wish I could tell you something that was good but my results with the stock 390's was poor.

390 Mustang GT's sounded purrty good :D
 (So did Mcqueen's car :lol: )

I don't know what else you can do other than to listen to another similar car and go from there.

I hear ya about the "truck" sound.

58 Yeoman

Yeah, Steve's car did sound good.  Wayne, that Walker catalog shows the mufflers ahead of the axle, when in reality, they are the last thing in line, except for the tip that goes under the bumper.

A few years back, I had a PU pass me and it sounded good, so I followed him and asked what mufflers he had.  I may have to do that with the Ford, or else just get some quiet ones.

Thanks for all the replies.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

wayne petty

sorry.. thats a 65/66 diagram .. not a 63...

i have not heard them personally..

but i have had people who hate loud exhausts and want a mellower sound install the 92/93 caddy fleetwood mufflers from the 5.7 application..  they are 2 1/2 inch in and out.. but rated to flow a 350 in a single configuration..

the  forum members offsite  have reported they were happy..

the 93 versions were stainless..

caddys use resonators to quiet the output... but without them..

and did you see the rotator exhaust truck from one of the muffler suppliers.. it has a rotating assembly with a bunch of their mufflers on it.. so you can hear the variations in sound by just rotating the device and restarting the engine..

Digger

Flowmasters always seem to sound good. 8)
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

ONE37TUDOR

I use the Flow master "Hushpower" type muffler on my 61 Galaxie. I originally had them mounted in the stock position and I thought they were not loud enough for me so I had them mounted ahead of the axle! Big mistake! Now they rap real bad under acceleration and are just annoying.

I plan to move them back to the rear sometime soon.

Only issue is that they are quiet expensive at about $150 each, or were when I purchased mine several years ago.

You can visit the flow master site and they have audio clips of their mufflers you can listen to but they are not on  bib block Fords?

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT