gm steering column

Started by rer_239, March 22, 2006, 07:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rer_239

has anyone shortened a gm tilt steering column?  i have an older gm tilt column (no shift) that i would like to use but its about 37" from wheel to end.  thats much too long to fit in an 1929 "A".  i'm new to the site, maybe this has been discussed before, if so please tell me where.
thanks
rer_239

phat rat

Are you asking if there's something different in shortening a tilt verses a straight? If so don't worry it's not a problem shortening it.  You do it the same as shortening a straight column. There's nothing of the tilt mechinism down there.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

C9

You should be able to use it as is.

I find a non-tilt shaft of 37" works well in my 31 on 32 rails roadster and it should fit about the same in your 29.

Some pics to show you how it fits.

First pic shows the intermediate shaft that's almost flat.
U-joint angle is within limits - usually a max of 30 degrees as recommended by Borgeson or Flaming River.

2nd pic shows the angle which is about right ergonomically speaking.

3rd pic shows steering wheel location etc.
This shaft & wheel setup has a quick-release hub so it may sit 1/2" - 1" further back than a regular adapter

C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

enjenjo

Yes it can be shortened. there are a couple possibilities as to shaft type. If you could post a picture of the column, I can get more specific. Some can be shortened without diasassembly, some can't. It also depends on how much you want to shorten it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rer_239

hey thanks fellas;
after looking at the pix, i might not have to shorten it.  i assumed it shouldn't extend past the firewall, but it looks like it can.

c9, what is the diameter of your column at the bottom and how far does it extend from the column drop?

thanks
rer_239

rer_239

hey thanks fellas;
after looking at the pix, i might not have to shorten it.  i assumed it shouldn't extend past the firewall, but it looks like it can.

c9, what is the diameter of your column at the bottom and how far does it extend from the column drop?

thanks
rer_239

Dirk35

C9 is correct, if you dont have to shorten the column, do not bother.

However:
To shorten a GM steering column is soooooooo easy and straight forward!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you just want to make it an inch shorter, it is easy.

You shorten the bottom portion, therefore, tilt, no tilt, doesnt matter.

Where you get into problems is if you need to take more than 8 inches out

I useded a 90s Chevy Camaro Column. Tilt with key on colum and all the cruise and wiper stuff on column also so it saves junk on dash. It was easy to shorten. Just make sure you sleve the shaft before you place the outer houseing back together if you have to shorten it. It was real easy. I shortened mine 8 inches if I remember correctly for my 35. Whoever had the totaled out Camaro had put a decent looking wheel on it already.

If you like, I can explain it more.

phat rat

Quote from: "Dirk35"C9 is correct, if you dont have to shorten the column, do not bother.

However:
To shorten a GM steering column is soooooooo easy and straight forward!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you just want to make it an inch shorter, it is easy.

I useded a 90s Chevy Camaro Column. Tilt with key on colum and all the cruise and wiper stuff on column also so it saves junk on dash. It was easy to shorten. Just make sure you sleve the shaft before you place the outer houseing back together if you have to shorten it. It was real easy. I shortened mine 8 inches if I remember correctly for my 35. Whoever had the totaled out Camaro had put a decent looking wheel on it already.

Why do you figure it's problem time taking more than 8" out of a column. On my COE I was building I took 13 1/2" out of a van tilt with no problem. As you said though make sure to sleeve the shaft.

Ed ke6bnl

what do you mean by sleeve the shaft, do you mean make a bearing for the shaft to ride on in the column housing ?????????? thanks Ed

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "Dirk35"C9 is correct, if you dont have to shorten the column, do not bother.

However:

Why do you figure it's problem time taking more than 8" out of a column. On my COE I was building I took 13 1/2" out of a van tilt with no problem. As you said though make sure to sleeve the shaft.
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

phat rat

Quote from: "Ed ke6bnl"what do you mean by sleeve the shaft, do you mean make a bearing for the shaft to ride on in the column housing ?????????? thanks Ed

[building I took 13 1/2" out of a van tilt with no problem. As you said though make sure to sleeve the shaft.
[/quote]

Use a piece of pipe (black) or tubing that's a nice fit over the shaft to splice it together. Don't rely on just a butt weld

enjenjo

I just saw the shat off at the length I need, and mill the end to a double D for a U joint. In a pinch, I have filed a double D on the end.

If I do have to splice a shaft, I sleeve it with 1" by .120 tubing.

48builder

Quote from: "enjenjo"I just saw the shat off at the length I need, and mill the end to a double D for a U joint. In a pinch, I have filed a double D on the end.

If I do have to splice a shaft, I sleeve it with 1" by .120 tubing.

So really what you are saying is, if I need to shorten my column I can just cut it where I want it to be, and then file down (or machine) the "D" shape? I already had to shorten the outer sleeve, and it would help if I could shorten the shaft itself.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

It depends on which shaft type you have. If it's a van column with a solid shaft, yes that works fine. If it's a passenger car column with a two peice shaft, you have to do it a bit differently.

48builder

Quote from: "enjenjo"It depends on which shaft type you have. If it's a van column with a solid shaft, yes that works fine. If it's a passenger car column with a two peice shaft, you have to do it a bit differently.

It's my '95 Camaro shaft. What are my options with it?
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Dirk35

I didnt take out more than 8 inches so I wouldnt have to re-locate the ignition switch and turn signal switch. I even used the stock bolt holes for my column drop.

QuoteWhy do you figure it's problem time taking more than 8" out of a column. On my COE I was building I took 13 1/2" out of a van tilt with no problem. As you said though make sure to sleeve the shaft.