Hunker Down

Started by WZ JUNK, March 13, 2020, 08:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

In Illinois, the restaurants and bars are closed for inside dining. The pizza parlor in town says it will deliver or have curbside pickup until further notice. Parks and gov't places are closed, including museums, etc.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

I read that most of the fast food places are closing their dining rooms.  Service will be via drive thru or one of the slooow Uber, Lift or other delivery services.

I say slooow service via the ride service companys..  My only experience with them was at work.  A young guy there ordered food delivered a few times. It never arrived on time for lunch (late), no condiments & one delivery was missing part of the order.  3 for 3 failures.

At 5:30am tuesday, I will be on the search for paper products for the house..
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

34ford

Costco removed their tables up front by the food area and have take out only.

Crosley.In.AZ

Tried 3 stores this morning from 6am ...  The empty shelves are a bit weird.  No toilet paper. No fresh meats. Many empty shelves. Few dairy products.

Wife had a doctor appt in Phoenix.  She stopped at a Frys Food Store. She found TP.. she said there were security guards in the area of the paper products. 1 package per person .. period
Tony

GPster

Well the qrand daughter that was in Spain is in the states and in self-imposed quarantine in Scranton Pa. The other grand daughter is going to borrow our car and go to pick up her belongings from the dorm because her school is closed for the semester. Our son's school is closed until the first week in April but that is the day of his heart surgery so he doesn't have to worry about school re-starting.  His wife's university is closed for the rest of the semester so she can be with him after the surgery. Our daughter works in a day-care system and there's talk that maybe Ohio will be having them close and with her husband working from home that part of the family will be safe. So everything is pretty good here. Of course it limits my excuses for not working on the Jeepster. GPster

WZ JUNK

You will laugh at me for this one.  I am use to it though.  I ordered two signs off of Amazon that say. "Quarantine "   "Keep Out".  My problem, and it is normally a good problem is that I have a lot of visitors to my shop.  Not as many as a few years ago, but still quite a few.  Normally I like it, but not now.  A fellow stopped by this morning, and I could not think of a nice way to ask him to leave.  One of the signs will go along the driveway to the shop and the other near the front porch.  I thought about making a couple with the skull and crossbones.   :D
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

chimp koose

Still waiting to hear what will happen with my school year . We were asked to get final marks in order for thursday as we will have all classes end then . Looks like we will be gone until September . My model T is at my shop at school . I have to find out if I will still have access to my shop area during the shut down . If not I will have a lot of stuff to move in a very short time. Might have to open my retirement machine shop a little sooner than expected.

papastoyss

i went to see my family doctor as a walk in Monday & was informed I had to go outside & wait in my car, They would call my cell when doc could see me. Good, I didn't want to sit in a room full of sick people anyway.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

chimp koose

saw the dentist today, place was empty. Got a call from my principal tonight that we are starting work from home . Gotta run in to work and get a couple things finished then grab some of my things and go . we are gone until at least the 30th

idrivejunk

How long you guys think it will be until a citizen is gunned down by authorities for not staying home?
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

I did hear my former employer has closed their front counters for the virus fears..  Appointment only when picking up or drop offs via phone calls.

Wife and I went to local McDonalds this morning. The dining room was open BUT: Everything is setup as "take out". All Food is in a bag, no condiments were out, you need to ask for them. They do not stop you from sitting down and eating.

Phoenix mayor has ordered food places to close all dining rooms. Phx may use the PD to advise restaurant owners of the temporary situation.  Sorry.  I think this is too much.

I am still on the hunt for TP.. My brother has 1 package for us.
Tony

Bruce Dorsi

Went to the supermarket yesterday and was happy to see fewer people shopping.  ....Meat, cheese, milk, bread, TP, & facial tissues available.  ...More produce in stock than last week.  ...No eggs or cleaning supplies (dish detergent, laundry detergent, disinfectants, etc).  

Some items had limits.  ...TP limited to 12 rolls per customer, tissues 1 box per person, can goods 2 per item.

It appears the panic buying here has eased somewhat, at least temporarily.

We stopped at our favorite Waffle House for lunch.  ....Dining room closed, take-out only, so we ate in the car.  ....We've been going there for 15 years, so we know the owner quite well.  ...When he saw us, he came outside to talk.  ...He is running a skeleton crew, but is paying his entire staff (2 stores - 3 shifts) for 2 weeks at the cost of $60K.  ....He said when that's gone, he's closing completely.  ....During the dining room closure and voluntary quarantines, he's been taking in $60-$100 per day.  ....I suggested he set up picnic tables in the parking lot to generate more business.

When we mentioned that 3 markets in our shopping had no eggs, he said to wait a minute.   ...He went inside and came back out with a tray of 5 dozen eggs to share with family & neighbors. ...Helluva nice guy that is more worried about his employees' needs than himself.  ...He told his employees to take what ever food products they need.

Last week, Lowe's had lots of toilet paper and paper towels in stock, but limiting to 1 large bulk-pack.   ...Most of the food shoppers are used to buying paper goods at supermarkets and wholesale clubs, and don't normally consider alternative sources.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

kb426

The small business' are going to be the hardest hit from my view point. I don't have any answers but it seems there have been some decisions made with little thought.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

I agree. Small business will suffer in this mess.

I found paper towels this morning. No TP..

A close friend of 45 yrs was being a smart a** 1+ week ago when I text him on looking for toilet paper.  He & wife are retired,  does not watch the news too much.  Well he sure changed his tune the last 3 days. He was texting me about all the empty shelves in the grocery stores and Costco was over loaded ... Like it was new news

Other item:  Costco has announced it will open 1 hour early for senior citizens each day. 8am opening time.  I guess I will get in line at 6am and see if they have any toilet paper
Tony

34ford

People around here have been finding tp at home depot and lowes and menards. Places some don't think about. Might call or try them.