Radial tires

Started by enjenjo, August 06, 2021, 04:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Back in 2003 I bought a set of new tires for my 65 Buick wagon. Shortly afterwards I blew the engine. the tires had less than 5000 miles on them. It took me a while to find a good block to build, and with the changes I wanted to make, and taking other jobs to finance it, it was not finished when I sold it to Josh this spring.

He purchased new tires and wheels for it a couple weeks ago, and I borrowed the old ones to make my El Camino frame a roller.

Yesterday I heard a loud bang that sounded like an air hose. I looked around the shop and couldn't find a problem. When I headed for the house I see one of the front tire was flat on the El Camino. It blew up setting on the trailer with very little weight on it. The date code was 2002.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

That should let any doubters be sure of a replacement policy. Most of us old guys know tires used to not blow out with age. They looked unsafe but they were still holding air. They aren't what they were 30 years ago. :)
TEAM SMART

34ford

Had a belt separate on one of my front tires on the 34 last year. Replaced both of them cause that tire size was not available anymore. Got to thinking about a month ago I should check the date code on the rear tires to see what it was. Turns out it from February 2000 so the tires were 20 years and 2 months. I bought the wheels and tires when I started the build. The tires only had 7,500 miles and still looked brand new. So I bought new tires for the rear so should be good for a while.

rumrumm

I replaced my tires five years ago. They looked new since they only had 10,000 miles on them, but they were 16 years old. No sense taking chances, especially since I cruise at 70 mph on the freeway.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Crosley.In.AZ

A friend was building a truck with 20 inch Cragar wheels.  He bought the actual wheels and tires for the truck waaaaay before the truck was drivable. You know what happened, the tires rotted and split in the sidewall.  It was not a long long time , only like 6 years. I saw the tires.  3 of them just split apart near the edge as the tread wrapped around to the sidewall
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)