Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

The owner doesn't know how to make a plan and stick with it, does he? The sort of thing which makes an expensive project far more expensive.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

I don't know which owner you mean but yeah. Wealth means somebody poor is supposed to think for you then bear the blame.
Matt

jaybee

Quote from: idrivejunk on January 05, 2022, 08:39:00 AM
I don't know which owner you mean but yeah. Wealth means somebody poor is supposed to think for you then bear the blame.

That is no joke.

kb426

^^^^
I have not had that experience. :) 12 years ago, I went to the Gunnison car show. There was an after party that I went to. Dave Crouse who was Custom Auto in Loveland Co. and I talked for several hours. he told me that I had no idea what rich people expected or how they treated him. I believe I'm fortunate to not have had that exp. on much of a level.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

As long as I stay dumb and diligent, it works. I'm a regular bee not a queen. If I do it 2 or 3 times, its still cheaper than par but as always I produce sellable results in the end. Leastwise thats what I'd like to believe. Reckon I really don't know what about the gas tank though so I ought to hush and have... faith?
Matt

jaybee

Hush and be glad it's not your shop, I'd say. It's not at all unusual for people who can write the really big checks to demand things be done for free just because they'll abuse others until they get it. I once worked for a guy who would interrupt meetings called to abuse coworkers and I to abuse other people. I heard him tell a fencing guy how much he was going to cut from the bill for the fence around his new swimming pool because the fencing components came in a couple of days late. Another time he told the Audi dealer if he had any issues with the way his S8 shifted when he picked it up they'd be getting him a new transmission and he wouldn't pay a dime for the repairs.

idrivejunk

Its just certainly a purposeful disillusion that I choose to accept. Because if EVERYthing is a problem job, if every question I have about one is me creating a problem where none exist and fussy backtalk tone is what I deserve...

would I be there at all?

My pitch is that keeping anyone in constant percieved failure mode is not the key to success. Maybe some operate that way. One of the most finely interpolated grey lines there is lies in the "If you ask someone to do a job, you must also bestow proper authority to do so upon them." department. I ask so many questions because mistake avoidance is how I built a crash tech rep and now, getting specific input is like pulling teeth. Its still a one man show up front.

Theres a train tunnel reference I'd normally insert here. But, hush mode it is. Beats page after page of derogatory text. In any event, I'll eventually forget forum days if I live long enough. But I'd remember the buddies quite a spell :)
Matt

jaybee

Myself, I'm a team guy. I want everyone to feel valued, competent, and empowered. I don't understand keeping people in the dark and feeding them *.

idrivejunk

One common thing I never fail to hear from new hires is a lack of clear task instructions. Nowhere to turn for answers, no tolerance for questions. Outright ignoring of facts given by person doing the jobs. Frustrations with other causes expressed to puzzled workers. Only-child-ish behavior from everyone above me is a fairly new thing. Dudes over 50 stamping feet and screaming is a quite compelling cue to exit.
Matt

jaybee

Sounds like the people above you are feeling a new level of pressure?

idrivejunk

Absolutely. A mean untimely cocktail of business growth, virus panic stuff, and personal crisis requires a lot of slack. Tension management can be like landing a carp with a Barbie Zebco. :lol:
Matt

idrivejunk

Well we lost a drama queen today but that should even out the keel. Whew. I hope so. Spreads the work load out quite different but we're all adult types now. Myself excluded of course. We take it day by day and I'm still around. And less puzzled by recent events. Maybe I will visit the back shop soon to see whats new. :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Didn't stick my head inside but did see the tank nestled fully  into position. I had envisioned some air around a smaller tank, 12 or 15 gallons but I guess they went for 20. I don't know but it fills the entire space and sloshing gas sound won't be but like a foot from driver's ear.
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

kb426

^^^^^
Getting close. :)
TEAM SMART