Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

On that model truck, a M" series, all the fenders are the same front and rear. I agree on the wheel openings, they need to be reshaped to better fit the tire.

This  may sound strange, but I saw one with the left rear fender on the right side and vise-versa. It improved the look a lot.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

TEAM SMART

jaybee

Now that you say it I can absolutely see why the truck would look better with the rear fenders reversed. The fender tail looks really low at the back, reminds me of mudflaps. That was probably advantageous when the trucks were sold originally but it looks awkward. The drop from the bed to the fender tail is too large.

The front of the fender looks to have more curve than the back when looking down on it. Swapping the fenders would help close the gap to the running boards and make it more symmetrical front to rear. At that point maybe you wouldn't need to trim the back-now-front of the fender up to the bottom of the running board, but i think you might.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

I wanted an M series truck for some time but haven't been crazy enough to buy one. A few years ago at an auction 100 miles from me there was several. One had the door jambs rusted out. The Walters auction several years ago had several also. They have all been big trucks except for one. The half ton was at 5 grand before the onsight bidding began. It had more rust than anything I've done in the past. The M truck is like model a's. They look cool but there's only room for midgets. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Just visually it looks to me like they'd have decent leg room. None down, all forward of course. Between firewall and grille bottleneck doesn't seem like room for a straight six. Door jambs, cab back panel, roof, part of door shells and headlight pods are about all thats usable. Oh and a gate.

No Stude styling effort on my part, I just traced pic lines to provide a means through which to convey one construction thought where fender hood cowl door meet. The grille on the thing is hideous so it will never be good looking. Right now I don't believe the technician is enjoying the task. Everything to be touched goes next to something not made. So make all parts first so things can be touched. Nothing can be started until everything is finished.

I'd say its somehow enjoyable watching somebody else go through that, but can't. I like the guy. I could sink my enjoying teeth into something like that but for him its undesireable labor. Like what I just did, mudding inside the F1 bed walls because a stud strip was welded to the outsides for no fender bolts showing.

Yeah, going from 1940s wheel opening size to 2020s is a valid thing, as is the install backwards and trim. Cluster of fudge, already went through all that on Frank's and for naught because now its Ranger bedsides.

Forcing forethought into these situations seems frowned upon, its only ever about today's work so let em do whatever they did before I came. I am just bondo primer painter helper now.
Matt

idrivejunk

No idea who covered the dash. Seems like it was done prior to hauling the car to KS for interior.

One thing is for sure, the brake lights are fairly useless. You'd have to be watching for them to notice they are on.
Matt

kb426

Do you know the name of the upholstery shop? You mentioned Oz before. Do you know where they are???
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Columbus, Kansas. On Maple Street. Oz Custom Upholstery. No site. Heres their FB:

https://m.facebook.com/Ozupholstery/
Matt

enjenjo

QuoteFrank's and for naught because now its Ranger bedsides.

Yes I am using Ranger Bed Sides. Just the top 4". I am cutting the rest off and discarding the rest of it except the area around the gas door. A buddy of mine with a boat repair shop is making the panels from there on down in a mold I made, on the contour of the Stude cab side shape. He also has some molds I made many years ago that are for the front and rear of the front wheel openings. With a pair of M series rear glass fenders flipped side to side, molded into the bed sides, and modified front wheel opening molded into the fenders, I think it will look  like the truck I want.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

That sounds good.  :)  I bet fiberglass expense is getting ridiculous, hope not as bad as with paint materials.

I imagine it would require some truly outstanding billfold fortitude to pay through that whole Stude job... already having been in several shops to reach the point shown, now "needing everything"... get it to a point of ready for fenders... then have somebody say now what we gonna do about those wheel openings? And not flinch.

If a feller never thought of that (non hot rodders mightn't) before then, boy that'd be a hard pill to swallow. As would any other fender doctoring. Leastwise thats one good justification for the type of images I throw at folks with expectations of being "for naught" because of the logic I have percieved to be in the process of elimination. I expect modification will be required to allow function with the Conestaga style rolling stock on that dude.
Matt

jaybee

I know ideas come up along the way, plans are meant to be changed, but it strikes me as a foolish waste of money to not have some vision of where you're going before you get started. There will be more than enough things to do over even with a plan in mind.

I knew a guy in HS and a while thereafter who I helped with his project sometimes. He had a 1953 Ford Crown Victoria. It was a pretty rough car, but stood out in a town full of Mustangs and Chevelles. Thing is, he had something different in mind every week. It's a 50s hot rod. It's a tail dragger. It's what we'd now call a restorod. It's a 60s style street/drag car.

This lack of a consistent vision basically destroyed the car. He radiused the wheel arches. Then he put them back. But he'd already thrown away the trim that was in the way of the radiused wheel arches. The flathead gave up so he found a Y block somewhere. As young as I was even I could see he chopped all the strength out of the front crossmember with a gas axe to fit the Y block. But the transmission was worn out and would pop out of 2nd gear. The patch panels were stuck in with big smears of brazing and popped all the bondo and paint off in short order.

He didn't make those mistakes with his next car, a 1967 Cougar he bought from his cousin. He took it to auto body school, found all the places where rust pops had been mudded in, redid the whole car from tan with a black vinyl roof to a deep, beautiful root beer metallic color, sorted out the janky drivetrain, and omg that was a beautiful car.

idrivejunk

That guy was in this afternoon, said it sat nine years just before coming to us and it sounded like a typical bucket list thing. Once you've lived long and been prosperous, she gets her want and he gets his and its agreed about depth of expense-telling-about. I oughtn't criticize what I can't understand particularly because its food in growly belly.

The traced sketch didn't come out during the visit and I was just a fly on the wall and I'd like to think we, you and I, think right about plans.

Maybe its smartest leaving the definition loose considering the duration of such projects. Or considering the nature of expressing yourself through those best suited to building the object of your vision. Those are things I know nothing about, but I have learned that to varying degrees control is with the body technician.

My attempts to provide visual options or guidance mostly fall flat and I've been leaning toward withdrawing the offer of suggestions and observing the paths taken in it's absence. Told myself no drawings in the 55 Nomad Camino job and did one photo overlay just for myself. That was successful! Got a pic couple weeks ago of the three pastel drawings he hired me to do of his cars, nicely framed in his office. So hmm. But the overlay allowed me to spew a correct suggestion (use pickup roof) when asked. So I guess...

Some who can afford to don't mind not prioritizing build efficiency. Some can afford to do the project but must police it to assure they don't buy more than what they came for. Few would understand how to take the straightest line through bodywork so that is left to us. I have striven to assure the fewest wrong turns and while thats a noble cause it usually only confuses people. Nowadays I figure enough people are aware of what capabilities I have so all I want to do is be clear that those are available and standing by willing to assist.

But until the moment the guy wonders about wheel openings, or the bodyman pipes up needing an idea, nothing I can say or do has value. However if my suggestions evolve silently, rehearsed for superfast concentrated verbal sentences until that moment, occasionally those have impact. I'm looking, thinking. But mostly just burning elbow grease I ain't got. .
Matt

jaybee

Hmm, so...

You've gifted us repeatedly with sketches of how you might deal with a particular vehicle, more than enough times for me to know I'm not the only one around here who enjoys your thinking on the subject. And if you feel like sharing your thoughts here on projects which find their way through your workplace I'm sure no one here will feel any differently just because it's not the project of anyone here. I grew up fascinated by the artwork of Harry Bentley Bradley and others, and I find it most interesting when we get the opportunity to discuss what might work on one vehicle or another. 

idrivejunk

I removed my most recent post because:

A- somehow I have the ability now.

B- can't seem to effectively communicate any more and hate how I sound.

I only came to drop pics and had a slip-up, caving to the temptatipn to put words. My words are not good enough for me so I will return to silence.

I am always available via PM.
Matt

chimp koose

IDJ if you have an opinion lets hear it . I have as much respect for your opinion as I have for your expertise . Your opinions come from experience in your area of expertise . I have learned quite a bit from following your methods of approaching a fabrication issue . You have changed my thinking on a few aspects of what would look right , especially putting large diameter wheels on older cars !  8)