Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

What do you guys think of my new project? I think its a '30. Customer wants rumble seat. Thats about all I know... "needs work"  :lol:

Matt

kb426

I see rust. Must be your kind of job. :) I'm wondering what got moved or removed to install a coyote?
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Backtracking... pics I took in case I got involved... :arrow:  Coulda swore I had a before pic. With green wheels. Be from last year, hmm

Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"I see rust. Must be your kind of job. :) I'm wondering what got moved or removed to install a coyote?

Rust, mmm-hmm. I was pleased to see that the original rot was left in place, I like that. :)

Component placement is surely not all worked out. Perhaps mentally. Big Mike put one in a 41 pickup a few years ago. I know he put the alternator backwards for packaging purposes. It will be slow agony but you'll eventually see how right here. I am doing sheetmetal work and will have a ton of questions for our man with the shoehorn.  :wink:

I may have some pics from the 41 build.
Matt

enjenjo

At least they make patch panels for that.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Probably same as the ones for the 33, looks similar. If so, I'll do a similar rocker treatment to simplify it. I suggested a metal insert for the roof but don't get me wrong I do like a little chicken wire on a rod.
Matt

58 Yeoman

Dammit Matt...you get all the fun jobs...
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Carnut

You definitely work in an interesting place.

idrivejunk

Regular bodyman jobs never did a thing for me. This stuff holds my interest and presents new challenges regularly. In return for the fun opportunities and not so you'd know by seeing my posts... I do my best, and take it seriously. And the jobs keep coming :)
Matt

Canuck

Matt

I know you have the skills and tools.  Do your own patch panels, they are fairly simple.  The manufactured ones are crap.

I bought panels for mine because I didn't have the skills, but after reworking  and modifying them and in some cases throwing them out and making my own, developed the skills.  Would have been a lot less work to make them.

But, you probably knew that.

Looking forward to this build.  Always enjoy your postings.  Have learned a lot from following them over the years.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

UGLY OLDS

Boy o Boy .... :?   I,m agonna be watchin' this one  :shock:  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:

When do we do the fenders  :?:   Huh--Huh :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:

Is that one of those new fangled engines with the valves above'n the pistons  :?:  :?:

Everybody knows that ain't agonna work.... :roll:  :roll:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chimp koose

ill be watching how you do the door gaps . I still need to do mine on the t .

enjenjo

This might be of interest to you Matt He is a member of the RRT also

http://www.highway99hotrods.com/Blisters/orderb.htm
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Canuck, I thank you kindly and I remember having the exact same thoughts when working on a '33.

Bob, fetch something to write on. School supplies are in stores now.  :)

CK, the door gaps are going to be um... interesting, yeah!

Frank, thanks... I have baby ideas kicking around inside my noggin but my first wonder was "what is the traditional solution?" and I figured its those.

Rest assured, gang, that as usual my solutions will sprout from complete ignorance of "right" and "wrong" but look like they grew there in the end. There has been no briefing thus far but I intend to prepare a barrage of inquiries that will leave no doubt in Gary's mind whether he has the right guy on it or not. I've learned things, maybe to the point of being able to pick up my speed. Do any of you remember the green '31 Model A that went to SEMA? And the red 33 job? I believe I will always feel honored any time I am tasked with a 1930s vehicle. Its one thing when its your own, but the trust another man places in me by putting his ride under my knife puts due diligence at the front. Its likely that with this car, like the 33, there will be a private moment after I have a plan and am poised to lay cutoff tool to it... when I'll lay a hand on it instead, and in my mind ask it's permission. I'll imagine its years in a blur, promise to be respectful and give renewed life. Then, chop until done. All the while, the folks who built it and kept it will be in my mind. When its gone, I'll still think of it. Always do. :D

I sure am glad to have a project of so much interest to you fellows. Tips, questions, and comments are welcomed. Its gonna be a long row to hoe.
Matt

idrivejunk

Heres a tune from the jukebox to take the edge off that sentimental note and put me in a Model A rodding mood.

&app=desktop

Thats ol rockin Ern. Theres always an oldie stuck in my head at any given time. This week its that! 8)
Matt