New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I've been in between projects. I have a go kart restoration that I've been gathering parts for. I did a house renovation for my son and it's summer and hot rod time. Just by accident on thursday, the project god smiled on me, depending on how you look at it. :lol: The 51 Ford will be my son's project after we get the drivetrain finished. The 47 Dodge will donate it's cab to my next project. They are both rust free in the cab. The Ford has some rust in the rear fender bottoms. I don't know where I'm going with these but I'm amazed that I found rust free material to start with. I mean no panel replacement, not surface rust.
TEAM SMART

river1

NICE finds

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

kb426

I decoded the vin and found out it's a 1947. Does anybody know where some rear fenders off of a 1/2 ton might be?
TEAM SMART

kb426

I spent most of the last 2 days working on the front fenders and header panel. The 51 was used as a coyote wagon. 1 fender wasn't bad but the right fender has been abused pretty good. Not much rust, lots of damage. There was a 1/8" floor welded in the box. I removed it this morning. I now have stuff scattered in too many places. It was a good weekend working on auto projects for a change. When I have something to look at, I'll post pics.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I made a little progress today.
TEAM SMART

kb426

The cheap H.F. trailer is doing what i wanted. It sits outside all the time. I thought it was powder coated. Judging from the fading, it's old enamel paint.
TEAM SMART

purplepickup

I like that Dodge.  Curious about what your plans are for it.

You certainly keep busy.
George

kb426

I don't have any plans for the dodge yet. I'm thinking it might need a new owner to help finance the 51. I fire it up and move it around to mow where it was. It runs fine. The clutch is grabby but it does everything it's supposed to. It's too good to let it rot away.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I received the hood I bought for the 51 yesterday. I removed the trim and stuck it in the vat for a while. There is rust holes on the top of it. It had laid upside down with dirt in the center of it long enough to do damage. It's rough but all I have so it will have to work unless I find a better one some where.
TEAM SMART

Leon

I think you need to let me haul that Dodge off so it's not in your way to mow!    LOL

kb426

Leon, that's a great idea.! Let's discuss the removal fee. :lol:
TEAM SMART

Leon

I'm easy, you won't have to pay me much to haul it off.   :lol:

kb426

Several weeks ago I bought a HF 20lb pressure blaster. Everything I read said it would need modifications to be useful. I tried it with fine black diamond media and wasn't happy. I found the Texas blaster on the web and looked over there valve setup. $30 in pipe fittings later, mine is working pretty good. I went through 4 bags of media and got half of the blasting done. I can see that the nozzles won't last long so I'm about to see how many sources there are for parts.
The box on the 51 is ready to be removed. I just don't have any place for it yet. I've been trying to get everything that needs to be done outside finished before the weather changes.
TEAM SMART

Beck

Quote from: "kb426"I can see that the nozzles won't last long so I'm about to see how many sources there are for parts.

I make nozzles from bolts. They don't last long, but neither do the HF replacements. Use the unthreaded portion of a bolt. I do a down and dirty cut in the lathe. It doesn't have to be pretty, it will be in the trash soon enough. Cut the OD of the bolt similar to the ceramic nozzles to retain it in the tip and drill a hole through it. A small hole quickly becomes a big one. After a while you will need to change the rubber gasket between the nozzle and the tip too. Again this doesn't have to be perfect. The sand is going to eat it up.

kb426

Beck, how many bags will go through one before it's done?
TEAM SMART