Read this it might pertain to you

Started by Fat Cat, March 09, 2005, 05:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fat Cat

In the last couple weeks I have gotten a number of emails asking me to look up your password for the forum. Most because they have been inactive for a while some because they are new members and did not read the on screen messages when they signed up.

I can not see passwords in the forum software. All I see a asterisks. Seven of them to be exact. In the database they are encrypted. They appear as a number that is 12 characters long.

So that leaves me withone option. I can use the password reset feature to reset and email that new password to you.

Now here is the reason for my post. You can use that same feature yourself if you take the time to look at the on screen messages. When you try to log in and supply the wrong password or user name the software will tell you so. it will also offer you the option of requesting a new password in the form of a link that says "I've forgotten my password" it will then ask you for your username and your email address. Then it will email you a new one after you hit the submit button.

If you could do this instead of sending me an email that says "I cant login in" and nothing else. Which means I now have to search the user base for that email address to find the user name then take that name and email address and go to the reset screen and send it to you that would help alot.

Don't think you will remember all that? Then book mark this link.

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/faq.php#4

You can find alot in the FAQ. It answers alot of questions.

Now if your issue is that you have changed email providers since you last logged in and know the user name and email address you registered with. You can email me with those details and I will see about getting the email updated so you can get a new password. As this is a completely different issue.

Fat Cat

Another thing to remember too. If you are not getting message you think you should be getting from the forum then you need to check into any spam filtering tools you might have. You might need to white list roddingroundtable.com to get them as your ISP may be blocking them, or sending them to a spam folder.