Cooling fans

Started by phat46, April 10, 2021, 06:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

Any opinion or experiences on the difference between a pusher and a puller electric fan? The fan I want to use is a 2200 cfm unit, but it is too thick to fit between my rad and the water pump pully. I could mount it as a pusher though.

kb426

The puller is more efficient. I'm a huge fan of Cooling components fans. If there's any way you can use their stuff, I would. They move air and make little noise. We all have heard cars pull in and it sounds like a jet airplane running with the fan. That annoys me. :)
TEAM SMART

phat46

Quote from: "kb426"The puller is more efficient. I'm a huge fan of Cooling components fans. If there's any way you can use their stuff, I would. They move air and make little noise. We all have heard cars pull in and it sounds like a jet airplane running with the fan. That annoys me. :)

That's kinda my feeling too, I would like a puller, but I have less than 4" to play with. Maybe should fab up a shroud and run a mechanical fan. 🤔

kb426

TEAM SMART

phat46

Quote from: "kb426"These are listed as 2. 625 deep. : http://coolingcomponentsinc.us.com/portal/store/products/category/17-series/

I was just looking at those, pricey, but good stuff isn't cheap, and they have one recommended for my car.

kb426

When the new owners took over the prices went up. They're better than $100 higher in the last ten years. Maybe it's just the price of materials????
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Two smaller fans can sometimes be arranged to fit in an area where one large one will not fit.  A fan shroud greatly improves the efficiency.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

jaybee

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Two smaller fans can sometimes be arranged to fit in an area where one large one will not fit.  A fan shroud greatly improves the efficiency.

Both good points, and in late models it's common to start one fan at a lower temperature than the other.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

phat46

Quote from: "jaybee"
Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Two smaller fans can sometimes be arranged to fit in an area where one large one will not fit.  A fan shroud greatly improves the efficiency.

Both good points, and in late models it's common to start one fan at a lower temperature than the other.

I would like to do the two fans, easy to find in junk yards, but I don't have enough room, I am working with approx 16 X 20 inches of core.

WZ JUNK

Here is a couple of pictures of the two 12" fans I used on the 460/Ranger and the fiberglass shroud I made to mount them to the radiator.  Note that the outside mounting actually overlapped the shroud.  A shroud enables you to pull air through the whole radiator core instead of just the area that the fan is mounted to the core.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

phat46

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Here is a couple of pictures of the two 12" fans I used on the 460/Ranger and the fiberglass shroud I made to mount them to the radiator.  Note that the outside mounting actually overlapped the shroud.  A shroud enables you to pull air through the whole radiator core instead of just the area that the fan is mounted to the core.

Looks good, probably works great. I have only about 18" across the core. I see Cooling components makes a 16", 2500 cfm unit mounted on a shroud that would probably work great for me. I just have to convince myself to spend the money. We all know that watching the heat gauge creep up takes the fun out of driving our hot rods, I guess the peace of mind would reason enough to spend the money. I bought a new four row rad for it, had to modify the core support and sheet metal pan in front of the rad, but I want this to run cool.

kb426

Take a look on ebay for one that somebody may have made a mistake on buying. That's where the last 2 I bought came from. They were the earlier style that is a little thicker.
TEAM SMART

jaybee

You can do a really nice custom fan shroud by carving the shape you want out of Styrofoam and covering it with aluminum foil as a plug. Yeah, you can also fold one up out of aluminum, but this makes it easier to go around radiator hoses, make room for overflows, petcocks and the like...and no pointy corners for you to reach across.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Crosley.In.AZ

Ya,  I bought a budget cooling fan on eBay..  that jet engine whine noise even annoys my bad hearing..  Thankfully it is only a back up fan. I have mechanical flex fan on the ol 1962 Falcon
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)