Project "let's clean out the garage"

Started by kb426, July 08, 2017, 07:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

For those of you that were wondering what I was going to do with all the parts that I have collected, here's the answer. :) The plan was to use up all the left over and extra parts from the past projects. I didn't have a drive train so that caused the purchase of the f150 for it's drivetrain and electronics. There's still a lot of decisions to make but I'll list the parts that are here and then I have some mockup pics to give you an idea where this could end up. :)
F150 5.0 engine and MR5 5 speed trans with eec iv efi.
96 explorer rear end that has been narrowed to center the pinion.
32 Ford 4" dropped axle setup with GM metric brakes and hairpin rods.  Vega steering box.
Early 70's Granada steering column.
Pedal hanger from the F150, manual master cylinder for the brakes, discs front and rear, nicop brakelines
Fuel tank and pump from F150, 2 to choose from, rear or side tank
F150 driveshaft and wiring harness.
New 65 Mustang 3 core radiator and Cooling Components electric fan and shroud.
Assortment of left over mufflers and mid 80's Mustang oem exhaust headers
Choice of 4 sets of tires and wheels, steelies and trim rings and caps, gray spoke torque thrust d's, 17" mustang wheels, both bullitt and regular 17" styles.
32 Ford grille shell, 49 Ford truck cab, 58 Ford passenger car rear section.
That's the largest part of the items that are here now. I bought rectangle tubing and a 32 Ford front crossmember back in December for this build. It's taken that long for me to get all the other things finished so I had something of a clean slate time wise. :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Different  :!: I like it  8)  

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

58 Yeoman

That will be different. I've seen an older pickup with 59 Buick fins/taillights at the hunnert car pileup.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

GPster

You could make the trunk lid like the one on a '58 retractable hard top and make the cab into a roadster. Or you could split the trunk lid and hinge it in the middle and make a rumble seat. I've always thought that when the new design of truck cabs came out in the late '40s they were too wide to look good un-fendered because the front tires could throw road debree on the firewall and windshield rather than the body sides. You're good with welding things back together. you could narrow the cab. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the center arm rest on the seat. GPster

kb426

Gpster, the roadster idea has entered the fertile area of insanity that I frequent. :) I cut a little metal this morning and unboxed the front end parts to see how many surprises there are. So far, there's only small stuff such as the way the parts are finished. I'm going to reweld the hairpins. I don't trust chinese mig welding. It probably is strong enough but it's sure not pretty. I have the engineering on the front end done. I have more work to do on the back half. That's probably going to finish out the day.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Wow! :shock:  I um...

What's the front clip, all fab? I can squint real hard and see something cool happening from that rear quarter angle. Made any sketches?

Can you give us a brief outline of your expectations and intentions for the build?

Thanks for sharing, and kudos on the research and planning.  :)  8)
Matt

kb426

To all of you who follow my adventures, many have tried to mold a 48 F1 cab with anything behind it and not very many have a pleasing flow of lines to me. IMHO :) After the mock up yesterday, my plan at this point is to narrow the 58 rear about 8" so it's slightly narrower than the rear of the cab. I'm using the cab line under the door window for setting the height of the highest top of the 58 rear. Depending on what wheels I use, they will be slightly inside the quarter panels. I'm thinking of radiusing the rear wheel wells 60"s gasser style and filling the original wheel opening to match the original quarter panel shape. I will add sheet metal to the front of the quarter panel so it's bottom is in line with the bottom of the cab with an angle flowing to the rear of the original quarter panel bottom . The frame will be my design starting with the 32 crossmember at the front and widening to a width that matches the rear cutout on the cab. The original cab floor is staying except for the cutout for the drivetrain. I'm using leaf springs in the rear but haven't decided if I'll try to make the explorer springs work or buy a set of Posies. Lots of decisions left to make.
I'll try to make this interesting as it goes so you'll have some entertainment as it progresses. There's room for mistakes and redos' on this. At the moment I'm thinking of fabbing a hood and side panels with 33 Ford style louvers. I don't have what it takes to make any style of louver so I may see if Rootlieb would sell me some panels with them installed. There's liable to be lots of c.a.d. work. I welcome all your ideas. 2 heads are usually better than 1. :) When this is completed, I intend to have some wheels left over and almost nothing else. This kind of project has no rules except not to be about spending money. My original goal is unrealistic but I won't mention it until it's titled and driving so you will have something to wonder about. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

I'm with you now. Kinda like a "sweep the swamp" pizza... a potentially delicious usage of things left over. Brilliant!

Thoughts...

Just slice the quarters halfway up the front edge and pull the bottom out to match the cab and be flush with it.

Make or use donor step bed and fenders. Simple square box but with the 58's wheel opening lips grafted. I like how those car quarters look with the cab. You could use any step fenders you liked the shape of and probably be able to use a pair that are nastier around the edge than what anybody wants on their stocker.

Will this be a vehicle with lights that stick out, mounted to the body, or integrated like later style?  

Have you considered some dual headlight fenders (I like stacked but am thinking of side by side) off oh, maybe a Fairlane or other fullsize like that or a little later? Any intriguing donor might do but wheel opening lips would be key. Think of the deuce shell as the center of an Edsel-esque arrangement. Wasn't there a late 50s Chrysler style with headlights stacked kinda diagonally? Thinking out loud, but the 32 top hood section could still be the hood, and the fender tops would be really wide like what was on that cab.

You have an interesting meal on your plate, and the fridge should be tidy when you finish it. Stock up on poster board for CAD, and seriously consider sketching up ideas you have, just loosely on your stack of fast food napkins haha. Sure helps the deciding. If you are interested, we or I could maybe help you with that or some rough photo editing of that nature. Anything to aid in the avoidance of a visual faux pas. You're on your own with the chassis things but willing to conquer it with a broad range of skills... Applause!
Matt

enjenjo

Here's a thought. Narrow the front of the clip 8", but leave the back stock width so it has a similar taper to the cab. Then cut the wheel openings out leaving the tires covered mostly in the rear, but hanging out a bit at the front.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carnut

Hopefully it will look a little less like this.

and a little more like this

kb426

George, have you read the build thread on the black unit? It's very interesting. He started out building a shop truck and it grew. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

I spent a lot of today working on this. I had several people come by to visit which is a little unusual. It's good to see friends that never come out of their hiding place. :) The bottom line is that the frame rails from the front to the back of the cab are mitered and welded. The pics with the crossmembers are just to give you an idea what this will look like.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Hecho en Garageo. Looks like a good day  :)  Laying the foundation is probably deep fun ain't it? 8)
Matt

kb426

Over here at "Hecho en Garageo", we have a little progress. Just for the record, the 2x4 tubing said made in USA but that won't be near as much fun to talk about as the other. :) I had a lot of time invested in layout this morning. Then it was a 1/4" out of square with just the center cross member tacked into place so it was time to get assistance. That's what the comealong is for. The pics are of some layout, the underneath side of the double k member and the fishplates on the bottom rails towards the front. After I flipped it, there are shots of the k member and a front shot. I'm ready to put the back half on now. I thought I might get that done today but I seem to have a little trouble with my expectations matching the amount of work accomplished. :) Yes, Matt, this is a good place to be. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

:shock:   :shock:  :shock:  :D  :D  :D

That. Is badass. Great stuff 8)

I was at a friend's place last week, he builds frames left and right for bagged street trucks and that chassis fab sure is interesting. Thanks for posting about the come along action. Nice work.  :)
Matt