GPS tracking device for theft

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, May 09, 2023, 09:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Any body here used GPS tracking devices on their hotrods, trailers or other stuff?

I just read about a fellow with a restored  Cushman Scooter stolen.  Reports of some high end race cars and trailers stolen that had no tracking devices on them.

Often rewards of 1,000 dollars or more are offered.  I wonder if a few hundred dollars of a tracking device is a wise item to use?

I see stuff used for tracking varies from Apple Tags to a self contained device that uses cell service
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

I know personally of someone who had an enclosed trailer stolen . Police found one that had the same unusual graphics on it but a different serial # . Hal told the police if he could enter the trailer he could prove it was his or not . They bring him to the trailer , he walks inside and pulls a copy of his registration for the trailer down from where he had hid it in the ceiling . Cops were happy , thieves were charged . They had changed the serial # . Tracking your trailer will help find it but Hal's trick helped prove ownership even with serial # being changed .

enjenjo

I just rear that on the new cars with built in GPS the car thieves are disabling the GPS antenna to keep the car from being tracked. You just can't win.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: enjenjo on October 14, 2023, 11:42:45 PMI just rear that on the new cars with built in GPS the car thieves are disabling the GPS antenna to keep the car from being tracked. You just can't win.

With these perps using electronic equip to sidestep key fobs and other car systems , to disable the vehicle GPS must be easy for them?

I figure the stand alone GPS tracker device is a good investment ? 

I can start - stop , unlock doors on my F-350 via a phone app. SO I figure I need a hidden track device on my truck?  It s a diesel and a 4x4 truck. They are popular with drug cartels and human traffickers. The Single rear tire trucks are more popular than duallys to steal around here I am told?  Likely that is wrong.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)