Homemade shop tools

Started by Land Yacht, March 08, 2007, 02:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Land Yacht

This is a very simple trick. I used it to hang my new waterpump on my '99 S-10 pick-up, but it could be used on anything. The problem is that the mounting flats on the block for the pump are out of the field of vision while you are holding the pump and trying to get it into position. Add to that, I like using RTV on the gaskets, getting the pump with the bolts, RTV, and gaskets into position without the gaskets falling off and smearing RTV on anything in the way is difficult. So instead of hanging it with the bolts, make some studs to hang the pump off of. I used some bolts from the hardware store with the same threads/diameter as the actual bolts but about 1 inch longer.  Cut the heads off, and cut a slot into the tops so they can be turned with a screwdriver. Thread the studs into the block. Coat the gaskets with RTV, slide them over the studs against the block, then slide the waterpump over the studs. Then replace each stud with the actual mounting bolt one by one, and torque down. Made the install very easy, no wrestling or cussing was required.

1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter

Charlie Chops 1940

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

sirstude

I have done the same thing for years mounting transmissions.  Just makes it much handier.

Good tip

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

paul5456

works great on oil pans.  I aways put on pans this way if the motor is in the car.

Crosley.In.AZ

good idear for many applications..... I've used this for decades on automatic trannys...... pump install , valve body , etc.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)