Removing laminated glass

Started by 416Ford, April 18, 2023, 09:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

416Ford

Looking for the best wat to remove laminated glass from the stainless frame. I tried heat and mineral spirits. Those don't work. Any suggestion?
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

idrivejunk

Best? Um...

I have only done a few wing windows but haven't broken one. You probably have that on the door glass too, right?

I was gonna ask about the current project, sounds cool.

IF it is installed with setting tape like my limited experiences were... yep get all your gentle approaches tried but then get out a tool and prepare to be a little mean.

Wedge/pry. Plastic or wooden tool to start, by tapping to seek a looser end. Yes next up is pocket screwdriver or best fitting one ya got. For me theres always that hinky feeling moment of prying on glass but its the edge.

Once it loosens an end, you are in business.

If the glass is grooved... well I have seen that on something and guess it slides or is driven off.

One more thing you might try is put window in freezer overnight before gently prying. Just a theory.

You can always tape the tip of the screwdriver. And if I am talking about the wrong thing well oops but careful penetration under an edge then applying leverage has been the answer for me on vent windows.

If someone previously attached the trim with windshield urethane you are probably just out of luck unless a sharp snap knife would... no don't do that.

All I got! ^^^  :)
Matt

enjenjo

Are you trying to keep the glass intact?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

416Ford

Glass is in a million pieces. I am trying to get the glass that is left out of the track. I did bend/damaged the bottom track trying to pry it off with the help of heat. I can buy those, the outer stainless is another issue and I don't want to replace them with new if I don't have to.
One of the windows came out nicely, the other one is glued solid.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.