48 chevy truck

Started by kb426, September 07, 2022, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

Love seeing these updates and hearing about other rodders' thought processes. Now I have to get od the GD computer and get to work on mine. Working in installing interior heat shield and sound deadening so I get start running some wires
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

kb426

O&S has been limiting his exposure to iron oxide by not working much. I'm sure the EPA approves. LOL. I filled 2 holes in the floor and 3 in the firewall.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S has entered into S.S.D.D. :) I removed the brackets for the rubber seals on the pedals and the starter rod. More holes to fill. :) I did fill a few today.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S branched out today. :) I repaired the kick panel as well as more holes in the firewall. I think I have 15 holes left. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

If you are going to plug that oval hole at the center top, you will have to come up with an alternate cowl vent drain
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I haven't made the decision about the cowl vent so for know it's staying. I'm saving the wiring loom hole at the top also.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S decided that the firewall had drug on too long. All the holes are filled and the next item is started.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S got started on a good day. Then it wasn't. :) I got the panel cut for the cowl and got it welded in. I ground the welds down and laid down some bondo. I was using the da when the motor on the air compressor gave up the ghost with some smells and a few sparks. I finished sanding by hand. I had intended to shoot primer over the bare areas but that went down the drain. I cut up some plastic and taped it over the bare areas. There's cheap motors and better motors. I ordered a better one at a substantial cost. It will be here next week so I will have air again. :) At least they are available. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S stripped the rest of the firewall and shot epoxy primer over all of the bare metal. Just in case it ever rains again, I'm ready. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Matt

jaybee

That looks neat. Those look like tri 5 Chevy 2 door or 2 door station wagon fenders.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

Nomad wheel wells. I like it. :) They sell those for around $900 each. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Yep and thats cheapest (55 Nomad qtr). Any similar era quarters are fair game but shape and size of those are potentially relevant. Assuming they could hang off the stock bed rails for a cab-width bed. Doesn't look like you'll be altering the cab and I don't recall a bed. I "made" headlight pods from the front fenders, added a tail pan. Put a little bend on bottom of hood side panel to balance the Nomad qtr one. Its all less than a suggestion. Pure whimsy.
Matt

chimp koose

idrivejunk

I'm thinking there was one KB build or thought with Fairlane sedan quarters and that would be the inspiration. The car back half thing may work with many even stranger combos of cab and bed and even mix brands. Seems like a potentially valid approach to getting some back fenders while keeping the fenderless hot rod look up front. Hard to say if from other angles it would look awkward or cool / unique that way, or to whom. KB will work something out, of that I'm sure. Bad fast too, once the plan is there. :)

No pressure, Bill.  :)
Matt